Chapter 23: Safe House

(I'm back!! I deeply apologize for my absence. I was extremely busy this past summer. I went to 5 different states in less than a month. Including being in an area where I have limited access to service. Anyway, please enjoy the way overdue new chapter. Next chapter will be released once Chapter 39 is written.)

    Many months of travel have passed since the day you left your home in the Shire. In that time, your eyes have been opened up to many beautiful landscapes. Also, grown close to the company of the Dwarves. They've become your second family. Which is funny in a sort of way since they are your original family.

    Now, as the sun begins to rise, you and the others wait as Bilbo checks to see if the way is safe. Ever since with the encounter with the Orc, Azog. He has been following you.

    As you wait, you talk with a few of the Dwarves, cracking a few jokes to try to lighten the mood. Until your attention is turned to Bilbo as he returns.

    "How close is the pack?" Thorin questions

    "Too close," Bilbo answers "A couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it."

    "The worst of it?" You question

    "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asks

    "Not yet," Bilbo answers Thorin "But they will do. We have another problem."

    "Did they see you?" Gandalf asks, gaining Bilbo's attention "They saw you."

    "No, that's not it," Bilbo says

    "What did I tell you?" Gandalf says a bit smugly but proud "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

    Happy chatter and nods of agreement come from everyone.

    "Will you listen?" Bilbo says a bit irritated "Will you just listen?"

    This causes everyone to silence and look to Bilbo as he continues to speak.

    "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there," Bilbo says, pointing back from where he came from

    "What form did it take?" Gandalf asks "Like a bear?"

    "Ye... Yes, but bigger," Bilbo says "Much bigger."

    Gandalf gets a look of recognition in his eyes as he looks beyond the group.

    "You knew about this beast?" Bofur asks Gandalf, seeing the look in his eyes also "I say we double back."

    "And be run down by a pack of Orcs?" Thorin retaliates

    "And lose time of which we cannot also risk," You say

    Grumbles of agreement come from everyone. They begin to spout out ideas of what to do.

    "There is a house," Gandalf says, gaining everyone's attention "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge."

    "Whose house?" Thorin asks "Are they friend or foe?"

    "Neither," Gandalf answers "He will help us or he will kill us."

    "What choice do we have?" Thorin asks

    Then there is a loud bellowing of an animal, similar to a bear.

    "None," Gandalf simply answers

    From there you and the company run. Run through the wood, run through shallow rivers, through grassy fields that have patches of lavender.

    "Come on!" Gandalf urges everyone

    You then reach another part of the woods, continuing to run. Another bellow from the creature stops everyone in their tracks."

    "This way!" Gandalf urges "Quickly!"

    At this, everyone begins to run. You quickly grab Bombur, who is standing still with wide eyes, by his shoulder.

    "C'mon, Bombur let's go!" You exclaim, urging the large Dwarf to move as fast as he can

    You continue to follow everyone quickly. Jumping over logs and up-right roots, ducking under low hanging branches. Soon a house surrounded by a stone wall covered with plant-life comes into view. The house sits in the middle of a dry, yellow grass field. Also within the wall, there are tall green trees.

    "To the house!" Gandalf shouts to everyone "Run!"

    As you run, you hear heavy panting and fast footsteps coming from behind you. Soon you see Bombur pass you and others. A sight that would normally make you laugh but now was not the time. You run past Gandalf, into the area of the stone wall, instantly heading for the door of the large house. Ramming your shoulder into the wooden door barely makes it budge.

    "Open the door!" Gandalf shouts

    "Quickly!" Thorin urges

    Quickly spotting the lock on the door you reach up and unlatch it. This instantly releases the doors to open. Everyone then pushes their way in, and go to the backside of the door. Once everyone is in, you all begin the close the doors but the bear-like beast pushes its snout in. Soon everyone forces the beast out and locks the door with a large wooden piece of wood.

    "What is," Ori asks, pausing to catch his breath "That?"

    "That is our host," Gandalf answers

    You, along with many others, look at Gandalf with wide eyes. Your host? A bear?

    "His name is Beorn," Gandalf says "And he's a skin-changer. Sometimes he's a huge black bear. Sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not over-fond of Dwarves."

    "He's leaving," Ori informs everyone, turning his head away from the door

    "Come away from there," Dori says sternly, pulling Ori away from the door "It's not natural. None of it. It's obvious. He's under some dark spell."

    "Don't be a fool," Gandalf says to Dori "He's under no enchantment but his own. All right, now, get some sleep. All of you. You'll be safe here tonight. I hope."

    Gandalf adds the last part lowly as everyone looks for places to sleep. Despite all the running you had just done, you are not tired a bit. So you find a nice area to rest when you're ready and sit. You talk with others. Would this Beorn guy be kind enough? Or will he throw everyone out to their death?