Chapter 2: A Meeting

You sat in the beautiful, green garden on the bench next to your father figure, Bilbo Baggins. Even though he's told you countless times to not call him 'father' or 'dad', you do so anyway. Bilbo is all you've ever known for family; he's raised you ever since you were a baby.

    As always, he is smoking his pipe while you sit there reading one of his many books. Bilbo makes one of his many smoke rings and closes his eyes. Neither of you notice a figure approaching the fence in front of you. Once they reach there a smoke ring turns into 2 delicate, smoke butterflies. Both of which fly to you and Bilbo. The one that flies to Bilbo, rams into his face. While the one that flies to you lands gracefully on the corner of your book. Curious by this, both you and Bilbo look up at the same time.

    Standing in front of you is a fairly tall man with a grey robe and matching wizards hat. Beside him, the man is carrying a staff of twisted wood at the top which contains a large clouded gem. The man looked old, with many wrinkles across his face. Along with a grey beard as long as Bilbo's curtains and long grey-ish white hair. He also has sparkling blue-grey eyes as he looks down at the both of you.

    Bilbo shifts lightly beside you as he looks at the man but you stay still.

    "Good morning," Bilbo says to the man

    "Hello," You say, continuing to sit still

    "What do you mean?" The man begins, ignoring you in a way "Do you mean to wish me a good morning or is it to be a morning weather I like it or not?"

    Bilbo shifts his eyes quickly over to you before the man quickly continues.

    "Or perhaps you mean that you feel good on this particular morning? Or are you simply stating this is a morning to be good on?"

    "All of them at once I suppose," Bilbo replies in a questioning way

    The man hums in disapprovement as his light smile fades.

    Bilbo shifts his eyes over to you again before looking back over to the man.

    "Can I help you?" He asks the man

    "That remains to be seen," The man says "I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure with."

    As the man says this he glances over at you and smirks as interest peaks over your face. He then returns his attention to Bilbo as he begins to talk.

    "An adventure?" Bilbo says, confused and shifts uncomfortably "Now I don't imagine anyone West of Bree would have much interest in adventures."

    "Nasty, disturbing," Bilbo begins to list off as he walks over to the mail box "Uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner."

    Once he finishes with a very short chuckle, Bilbo opens the small mail box and pulls out the letters you and him received that day. When he has it all, Bilbo shifts through it, glancing in between the items in his hands and the man. After he's finished, Bilbo looks to the man and gives him a short nod.

    "Good morning, (Y/N) come now," Bilbo says, beginning to walk up the steps to the door

    "Do you think I should have lived to be 'Good Morninged' by Belladonna Took's son? As if I was selling buttons at the door." The man says in a slightly angered way

    "Beg your pardon?" Bilbo asks, quizzically

    "You have changed. And not entirely for the better Bilbo Baggins," The man continues

    "I'm sorry, do I know you?" Bilbo questions, turning to face the man more

    "Would you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it, I'm Gandalf!" The man exclaims "And Gandalf means, me."

    "Gandalf," Bilbo states as he gets a look of recognition across his face while he thinks "Not Gandalf the one wandering Wizard who made such excellent fireworks? Old Took used to have them on mid-summers eve."

    The man, Gandalf supposedly, hums and chuckles in amusement of the memories but that smile soon turns into a frown at Bilbo's next statement.

    "Had no idea you were still in business," Bilbo says

    "And where else should I be?" Gandalf asks in an irritated tone

    "Well," Bilbo chuckles out before uncomfortably shifting and sticking his pipe back into his mouth

    "Well, I'm pleased to know you remember something about me. Even if it's only my fireworks." He says, pausing for a moment "Yes, well that's decided. It'll be very good for you," Gandalf says, pointing a finger at Bilbo then turning to you "For you as well my dear. And most amusing for me. I shall inform the others."

    "Inform the who- What? No, no, no- wait," Bilbo begins as he climbs higher up to the door "We do not want any adventures here. Thank you. Not today. I suggest you try over the hill or across the wood. Good morning, (Y/n) come on."

    "I think I'll stay out here if you don't mind father," You say "I quite like the fresh air today."

    "Alright then," Bilbo says then walking inside and locks the door as always

    You watch as Gandalf walks silently up the stairs to the door then look inside the window after a moment. Then watch as he lightly drags a bottom part of his staff along the bottom of the door before exiting out the gate and turning to you.

    "My how have you grown my dear," Gandalf says to you

    "Pardon me?" You ask, looking back at him in curiosity

    "Nothing, just glad to see that you were well taken care of," He replies before starting to walk off

    Even more curious by his statement, you hop up from the bench and quickly walk after him. Since you aren't a Hobbit in any way, your boots lightly pat against the dirt path.

    "Sir, if I may ask," You say, catching Gandalf's attention "What do you mean by that?"

    Smiling down at you with sparkling grey-blue eyes, Gandalf pats your shoulder.

    "You'll find out soon enough," He answers then continues walking "Until then, wait patiently."

    You watch as Gandalf walks away, down the path. What did he mean by what he said? You had never met him before. But you'll wait, just as you were told.