Chapter 37: A Town of Flames

As Tauriel steps outside, Bard's two daughters come towards you and the others as if to seek protection. You speak to them reassuringly to try and calm them when Tauriel re-enters.

    "We have no time," She says, beginning to gather things "We must leave."

    "Get him up," Bofur says, referring to Kili

    "Come on," Fili says, helping Kili to stand "Let's go."

    "I'm fine," Kili says harshly, pushing his brother away "I can walk."

    "Now's not a time to push yourself," You say as you help one of the sisters get her coat

    "Fast as you can," Tauriel says as she helps the younger sister

    "We're not leaving," Bain says, approaching the two of you "Not without our father."

    "If you stay here, your sisters will die," Tauriel says then turns to him "Is that what your father would want?"

    You glance towards Tauriel as she says this but then look back to the girls.

    "Come now," You say "Gather all valuables you can into one bag each. Hurry."

    Within minutes everyone is rushing down the stairs and getting into a longboat.

    "Down here! Now!" Bofur urges as everyone rushes

    "Give me your hand," Fili says to the girls, helping them into the boat

    "Come on, let's go," Oin urges

    "Quickly now," Tauriel says "Hurry."

    "Kili, come on!" Fili says as Kili rushes up to the boat as quick as he can

    Soon enough, Tauriel and Oin begin paddling the boat through the water. The dragon, Smaug, then flies over causing everyone to duck down. You instinctively move your arms above the girls in order to protect them. As soon as he came he was gone. You then lifted your head, slowly rising and your eyes trailing after his figure.

    The sound of him flying above can be heard followed by immense heat coming from close by. He had released his fire upon the town, causing many to perish in the searing flames. As another burst of flames appear, the boat narrowly avoids them. Had you been a few moments behind there would've been no hope. As the boat pushes on, everyone fights the urge to help those of the townsfolk who are being left behind.

    The screams and heat reminding you too much of your distant memory as a baby.

    Your attention soon snaps back to the front as a larger boat over makes yours nearly tip over. Soon you discover the boat belongs to none other than the Master of the town. Your distaste grows towards him even further as you see his boat is full of gold, rather than people in need of help.

    As the boat continues to bob and weave between fallen objects from buildings, Bain catches sight of something.

    "Da!" He breathes out loudly

    "Da!" Bard's youngest shouts, trying to gain his attention

    You and others watch Bard as he shoots an arrow at Smaug. Your eyebrows raising in slight shock as you see the arrow come in contact with the dragon's skin.

    "It hit," You mumble

    "He hit it!" Kili exclaims, seeing the same thing you did "He hit the dragon! He did!"

    "No," Tauriel says

    "He hit his mark!" Kili says "I saw!"

    "His arrows cannot pierce its hide," Tauriel informs "I fear nothing will."

    A solemn look passes over everyone's faces. Soon the boat is passing a statue of the town's master. Before anyone could stop him Bain hops up, grabbing ahold of a hanging hook and swinging himself towards one of the walkways. You and others try to reach out and pull him back before he gets too far but it's too late.

    "What are you doing?!" Bofur shouts out at the boy

    "Bain!" The youngest sister cries out

    "Come back here!" You shout desperately with the others "Bain!"

    "Leave him," Tauriel says "We cannot go back."

    "Bain!" The youngest cries out one last time before turning to you for comfort

    Instinctually, you wrap your arms around her shoulders and gently shush her as she clings tightly and lets tears come down her cheeks. You look up to see the older sister letting out some silent tears, being strong for her youngest sibling. A look of sympathy crosses your face as you reach out and wipe a tear away before squeezing her hand.

    As the boat continues maneuvering to find a way out of the town, followed by a shaking thud, a voice bombs overhead. The voice being deep and menacing, causing a chill to go down your spine and for you to hold onto the girl tighter. This voice you could only assume belonged to the dragon, Smaug.

    "Who are you that would stand against me?" He says

    You could only assume he is speaking to Bard, as he was the only one to be trying to fight back.

    "Now, that is a pity," Smaug says "What will you do now, Bowman? You are forsaken. No help will come."

    A short chuckle then comes from him as he sees something that amuses him.

    "Is that your child?" Smaug asks "You cannot save him from the fire. He. Will. Burn!"

    A whimper comes from the youngest as she clings even tighter. Your heart breaks for her and her sister as they may lose two more family members.

    "Tell me, wretch," Smaug muses "How now shall you challenge me? You have nothing left but your death!"

    A roar comes from Smaug, as rhythmic thuds can be assumed as he charges towards where Bard and Bain are. But soon a roar of pain comes, followed by crashing as Smaug dragged through the burning houses. The sound of the dragon gagging and gasping can be heard as he flies straight up as he is trying to escape whatever is causing him pain. One last long cry of agony can be heard followed by his last gasp of breath before his body comes plummeting down from the sky. A thunderous crash which can be heard for miles along with the earth shaking from the weight of the beast.

    Your head then snaps up in curiosity and disbelief. Could it be that the beast was truly killed? Was this finally the very last of your worries? Or, like every other time before, is there something even worse behind the next door that awaits?