Chapter 12: A Troll's Cave

You were helped cut out of the sack by a couple of the Dwarves before they moved onto others. Though, as you turned your body slightly, you suddenly felt pain causing you to wince. This caught the attention of Fili who was close by.

    "(Y/N), are you alright?" Fili asks, walking over concern written on his face

    "Yes, I'm fine," You strain out "Just a little- Ah."

    Another surge of pain shot through you, causing you to lose balance and lean to the side. Upon noticing this, Fili quickly puts his hand on your shoulder and grabs your upper arm to steady you.

    "May I?" He asks, motioning to the back of your shirt

    Seeing there's no way to deny that there's nothing wrong, you nod and stand still to allow him to lift your shirt. You shiver lightly at the cool air colliding with your back then flinch when Fili lightly touches your back.

    "You have very bad bruising," Fili says, lowering your shirt back down and comes back into view "Probably from when that troll squeezed you so hard."

    "Don't tell Bilbo," You say "Please. He's already protective enough. I don't need him to be watching my every move even more than he is. This includes the others, who knows if one of them may accidentally let it slip out."

    "Alright," Fili sighs

    "Thank you," You say

    You and Fili follow everyone say they find a cave where the trolls had stayed during the day.

    "Oh, what's that stench?" One of the Dwarves ahead of you wondered aloud

    "It's a Trollhoard," Gandalf answers "Be careful what you touch."

    Once you enter, you gag at the smell. The smell of rotting flesh and feces. Enough to make anyone with a weak stomach spill what they ate for breakfast.

    All around the cave, are bones, gold pieces and jewels, and weapons from unlucky others who came across the trolls.

    "Seems a shame to just leave it lying around," Bofur says, nudging a pile of gold pieces "Anyone could take it."

    "Agreed," Glōin says "Nori. Get a shovel."

    You watch with amusement as a few of the Dwarves pile gold pieces and jewels into a chest and bury it within the ground of the cave.

    "We're making a longterm deposit," Glōin says to you and Dwalin

    This causes you to let out a short laugh and Dwalin to roll his eyes at the three.

    "Let's get out of this foul place," Thorin says "Come on, let's go."

    You follow the others, taking in a deep breath of fresh air then walk over to Bilbo. The two of you begin to talk briefly before being approached by Gandalf.

    "Bilbo, (Y/N)," Gandalf says, gaining both of your attention "Here. These are about your sizes."

    He hands each of you a sword big enough for you both. You inspect yours, a small smile spreading across your face.

    "I can't take this," Bilbo says, beginning to hand his back to Gandalf

    "The blade is of Elvish make which means," Gandalf begins "It will glow when Orcs or Goblins are nearby."

    "I have never used a sword in my life," Bilbo argues

    "And I hope you never have to," Gandalf says then looks to you "Nor you, my dear. But if either of you do, remember this: True courage is about knowing not when to take a life but when to spare one."

    "Something's coming!" Thorin shouts as leaves rustle in the distance

    "Gandalf," Bilbo says but is ignored

    "Stay together!" Gandalf says to everyone as they get ready to fight "Hurry now! Arm yourselves!"

    Hearing this, you eagerly pull out your blade from its sheath. Briefly observing its beauty before joining the others. Ready to do what you can to survive despite your injury. As the sound of the rustling leaves and branches being moved draws closer, you grip on your sword tightens.

    "Thieves! Fire! Murder!" A small man riding on a sled pulled by large rabbits shouts as he comes through bushes and stops

    He seemed a bit odd. A hat upon his head like Bofur's, long unkempt beard, teeth with gaps between them, and wearing all brown. He also has a crazed look in his bright blue eyes, which match the stone within the top of his staff. Along with some weird substance going down the side of his face, into his beard.

    "Radagast," Gandalf says seeming to calm everyone "It's Radagast the Brown. Well. What on earth are you doing here?"

    "I was looking for you, Gandalf," Radagast says "Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."

    "Yes?" Gandalf says, urging Radagast further

    Radagast opens his mouth to say something but seems to forget midway and begins to think. He does so again, forgetting once again.

    "Just give me a minute," He says "Oh. I had a thought and now I've lost it. It was right there on the tip of my tongue. Oh. It's not a thought at all. It's a silly old stick insect."

    A look of disgust crosses your face as Gandalf gently pulls a stick insect from Radagast's mouth. Then watch as Gandalf and Radagast walk away from the group to speak to one another. What could possibly be wrong? Would it affect the journey to Erebor?