c29

Chapter 29: A Day Away

The exhibit was just a day away, and I was hoping everything would work out the way Nick desired

I had put a lot of effort into makijng things thes way he wanted, so the last thing I wanted was for the both of us to be disappointed.

I had enough disappointments already.

I knocked on his office door, and he welcomed me in.

"Hey," he greeted in a calm voice.

"Hey," I greeted back. "I don't wanna do the speech anymore."

"Why?" he asked.

"I can't seem to avoid putting my personal emotions in it. I'm sorry," I answered.

"It's okay," he nodded. "How are you?"

"Good," I nodded.

I felt slightly weird talking to him on a personal level.

"I...um...I wanted to talk to you about something," I said.

It was midnight, and even the janitor had left.

"Go ahead," he said, and I walked to his desk and sat on top of it.

I looked down at the floor, nervous as to how I should start the conversation.

He rolled his chair over to where I sat and placed a hand on my knee.

I looked up at him, and then back at the floor. He held my hands and assured, "You can talk to me."

"I'm leaving the day after the exhibit," I confessed.

"I- I thought you said you were gonna stay for another 2-3 months?" Nick frowned.

"I was, but there's really nothing here for me anymore. Plus, I don't need such a big house now that I'm on my own. I found somewhere new, and I've already bought the place," I answered.

I stared into his eyes and felt ten times worse.

"You're really leaving me?" he asked, his eyes watering.