XVIII: Pirate Trap

"I can not believe we're in this situation!"

"Calm down Nora," Leon states. "We've all made mistakes before. This is Linda's first time here. She probably had no idea what she was doing so just cut her some slack."

"I would have, but seeing as we're in prison right now for her careless behavior, I think she went a little over board!"

My head remains lowered and my eyes are shut. Nora is currently talking through the cells to Leon, who is in the male holding cell. I pay no mind to either of them. I just can't believe I landed myself and everyone as well in jail.

After Jack vanished, the guild rushed in after me, followed by the police. Percival had managed to get away somehow, but everyone else was arrested for being my accomplices and aiding me as I destroyed someone else's property. That's the funny thing though, because the others had never even stepped foot inside of the pub to begin with. How were they supposed to aid me if they weren't even there? I honestly think the police was just too weirded out by everyone's extremely different clothing.

"Miss Linda Kemsley," someone says, pounding their feet as they walk over to us. I drag my eyes away from his feet and look to his face. It's a police officer.

"Yes? That's me," I sort of mumble, not knowing if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

"You are hereby released from our custody."

"By who?" I ask.

Before the policeman can answer the question, Nora speaks up.

"What about us?!"

"I'm sorry, but I have not received any confirmation to release you. Only Linda Kemsley was mentioned. No one else is allowed to go."

Nora kicks the metal bars of the holding cell angrily. "She's the whole reason we're even in this place and now you're telling us we can't go? We haven't even done anything wrong!"

The man doesn't answer. Instead, he intentionally ignores her and draws out some keys from his pockets before he opens the cell, pulls me out and closes the door. As he locks it all back up, I look over to my friends, who are still held captive inside of the cell. It feels so different looking at them from the other side, the free side. Nora is now the only girl in her cell, a scowl imprinted on her face as she glares at me. Leon looks a bit confused. He's probably wondering the same things I am: who got me out of this cell and why? Ryner's face stays blank for a few moments as he looks at me. Then a small smile appears on his face and he gives me a wink. What the heck was that even for?

We leave the holding area and emerge into the main police office, where there are a few more policemen walking around, shuffling through papers, or eyeing me cautiously. I'd never been in a Fairy Tale police department before because when I was in this world, I stayed out of the spotlight so that the pirates couldn't find me. The office does look a little different from the Earth ones. There were no phones or any sort of new technology like computers. This world hadn't gotten that far ahead yet. Also, the policemen don't really own any specific uniforms. It looks like they just throw on regular clothes and then fasten a badge saying FTPD on their shirts, confirming they are officers.

"There you are Linda." The new voice throws me completely offguard and I flinch back just a little bit. When I look straight ahead though, to where the voice came from, I'm relieved to find out that it's someone I know.

"Percival," I say slowly, as if not believing that he's actually here. I face him head on, trying to convey exactly what I'm feeling. Why had he left all of the others? What was it he wanted with only me? "What are you doing here?" I choose to say.