XI: Sneaking Aboard

I wake up extremely early the next morning, knowing fully well that they're going to leave sooner rather than later so no one else will be awake. I'm already dressed in suitable clothes so that I wouldn't miss them just because I had to get changed.

I tread quietly to Ryner's room. I can't just leave him uninformed of my plan. He'll wake up and no one will be there to help him out for three days. As I walk to his room I can't help but feel selfish for leaving him in this world alone, but I have to go. It's something he wouldn't understand.

I open his door softly and tip toe inside. Just as I'm about to wake him up, I stop in my tracks. He looks so peaceful sleeping there. I can't bring myself to wake him up. He had told me before that he hadn't been sleeping well. Maybe it has to do with the thought that there's a big opening in his right foot where the big mass of plasma passed through. Now that he knows who it was, it must be even harder to sleep with all of the thoughts crowding his brain.

I silently grab a pen and a sheet of paper from his desk and decide to write him a note instead. Once I've finished, I put my name on it and leave his room, trying not to slam the door on my way out. Then I go back to my room and wait. Since my room is the first on the second floor, I'll be able to hear their footsteps pass by my room.

As I wait in the dark, I look over to the spot where the lightning went through. Leon and Nora had decided to work their repair magic on the floor and the ceiling. The spot is gone now so it looks like there had never been an incident at all, but the memories are still clearly there, showing the tragedy happened. I just want to take it all back for Ryner's sake, as well as my own. I feel so horribly guilty about it all, even though Ryner has tried to tell me it was no big deal. I just...

Suddenly, I hear shuffling noises going past my room. That must be them. I wait for a few moments after the noise is gone before I open my door and follow them. Now I've got to make sure I don't get caught so I can go to Fairy Tale World with them. Then, I'll ditch them, find the man who made my life a living hell, and kill him twelve times over. After that, I'll hike back to a different portal, if I can find one, and go back into the real world. This should all take about two days. Then when they get home, they'll never know I was gone.

I continue following Nora and Leon downstairs. After reaching the main hall, they make an odd turn and head down to the basement. I finally understand. The portal is in the basement. That would make a lot of sense.

I continue to walk down the cement stairs and get a few feet away from the door. From there on, however, something completely freaky happens. I'm walking normally, thinking of what going to do when I get to Fairy Tale World, when suddenly it feels as if I've smashed into a wall. I back away and try putting my hand out farther to surpass whatever this is, but as soon as my hand gets to that same spot, it immediately stops. I push hard, but the only thing that does is push my body away. This invisible wall is just far away enough that I can't make out what they're doing in that room.

For a moment, I think about giving up. Then I narrow my eyes. No. I won't give up that easily. I'm going to get through this invisible wall no matter what. I've got to get through. There has to be a way to break this darn spell! I huff, frustrated that I can't counteract it with a spell of my own. I never realized how much I would need magic some day so I stayed away from it. Now I regret it more than ever. My revenge could be finished by now, but since I decided not to practice, I'm basically a sitting duck.

I take off two restraint bracelets, determined to break this wall. It doesn't matter if I don't know any spells. I'm going to crush the wall anyway. I have to. Already, I can feel my magic stirring inside of me. I concentrate on the energy inside of me, clearing my mind of everything else. I know this is dangerous, but I have to go through with it. I decide to do a high kick with a little magic twist. My right foot plants itself to the floor while my left thrusts itself up to the wall. When my foot hits the wall, a shot of electricity runs from my foot to the wall, causing a spark to ripple across the entire wall.