VII: Toasted Dragon

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I ask Ryner.

I'm in his room with him while he rests.

"Linda it's been a week now. I'm going to be fine. You don't have to keep coming here."

"Yes I do," I say, feeling the tears stream down my face. "You could have died. I shouldn't have treated you as if you weren't my friend because you are. I should have let you flirt with me to your heart's desire. If I would have known this was going to happen, I would have."

Ryner rolls his eyes. "Stop Linda. You're overthinking this way too much. I like to flirt, but I know you don't like it when I do that so you had every right to ignore me when I put you in that position. Don't think anything is your fault."

If you only knew how many things are actually my fault Ryner.

I nod anyways and sniffle a little, trying to get the snot that's threatening to get out from all of my crying back into my nose.

"Ew, you're so gross," Ryner states jokingly. "Get a tissue."

He points to his nightstand where a tissue box is standing, waiting to be of use to anyone. I grab about five tissues and wipe the tears from my eyes before using the other four tissues to blow my nose. I don't even know why I'm making such a big deal out of Ryner. He honestly hasn't been the best friend, but maybe, since I've gone so long without having an actual friend, I like the idea of having one.

"So how is that egg of yours doing? Has it grown yet?" he asks.

"Nope. Wanna take a look?"

He nods and I open the bag for him to take a peek. I smile as he strains his neck a little to see how the egg is doing. Although I said I wasn't, I'm actually glad that I told him about this egg. It's nice sharing a secret with someone instead of keeping it all cooped up.

"It looks the exact same. Maybe it won't grow because it doesn't sense a mother and father." I look over at him questioningly. Ryner scratches his head uncomfortably. "Or something. I don't know."

"What are you implying? That it won't hatch unless there's a mother dragon by it?"

He smiles sheepishly. "No, not that. It's just usually animals hatch when they're comforted by the warmth their mother provides. Maybe the egg isn't hatching or growing because it isn't warm. It's just a thought though."

I think about it. "That actually doesn't sound half bad."

"Really? For a moment there I thought you were going to announce that I was delusional."

I roll my eyes at him. "You're so silly. I guess you're right though. Maybe it does need to be warmed up." I close the bag and put it back over my head and on top of the other shoulder. "Speaking of cold, it's getting a little cold in here. Let me go put some more logs into the fire."

Ryner nods his approval. Unlike my room, Ryner's has a fireplace. I honestly think it's kind of weird and really old timish, but Ryner insists that he likes it and isn't planning on getting rid of it. As I walk over to the fire, I feel something move inside of the bag. I pinch my eyebrows together in confusion and squat in front of the fire. As soon as I open the bag, the egg rolls out, edging its way to the flames.

"No!" I call out, but it's too late. The egg is already in the fire.

"What happened?! Is everything alright?"

I look worriedly at the egg. The fire's going to roast the egg alive! I pick up a log and try to get the egg out, but the flames keep eating the wood.

"The egg fell inside of the fireplace!"

"Oh," he says simply.

"Oh?! This is a crisis here!"