Chapter 9- Dad

Sam was startled by a knock at her door the next morning. She slowly rolled out of bed hitting the floor on her hands and knees. She stretched her body across the floor and happened to fall asleep again, but after a second she heard the knock again. She groaned and got up. She was too lazy to put a robe on so she went down in her silk pajama pants and her lased top. When she opened the door, she hissed at the sight of Harry. She tilted her head and squeezed her lips together, waiting for his voice.

"Um, hi," he said emphasizing the ‘hi’.

"What brings you here?" Sam asked putting her hand on the edge of the door. Harry looked at her up and down then finally got his thoughts together.

"Ah, you know that biology packet Mr. Cruz gave us?" He stuck his hands in his pockets lifting his shoulders making his biceps stick out of his rolled up sleeves.

"Yeah," Sam said shakily trying not to pay much attention to his muscles. "If you need help on it, I haven't started it yet. So I can't really help," Sam answered as she slowly started closing the door.

"No, no, that's okay! I was actually wondering if I could have a copy of it," he responded, looking at her with his bright green eyes. Sam sighed and told him to come inside. She led him to their computer room where she kept her backpack. After looking at her in amazement, Harry took a quick peek at the desk. "Oh, is this it?" He asked holding up the paper.

"Oh, uh, yeah." She got up and took it from him, placing on the scanner. As they waited, Sam couldn't help but take a glance at Harry. His white T-shit struck out his tan muscles as he leaned on the desk. He bit his lip, waiting patiently. "There you go," she took it off and took the printed one and handed it to Harry. As she did so, she felt her phone vibrate in her silk pockets. Harry walked out the door to give her privacy while she talked. "Wait what?! Oh my god. But mom you have to stay there! I'll find a way, just stay with him! I'll be there soon!" Sam hung up her phone as a tear went down her cheek. She wiped it as she ran out the room dialing her phone.

"What, what's going on?" Harry said frantically.

"N-nothing, nothing," she said sniffing, heading for the stairs. Harry stopped her in her tracks.

"Tell me," he said in frustration.

"My dad’s dying, okay!!" Sam screamed in his face. "I have to call Eleanor to get a ride!" She couldn't even hold her phone, she was crying and shaking to hard.

"Don't call Eleanor while I'm here! I'll take you," he said with patients in his eyes. Sam breathed in heavily.

"No, no I can't..." She put her head down, looking at the floor. Harry lifted her chin.

"No, I will. I want to."

****

When they got to the hospital, Sam and Harry got out and ran to the receptionist’s desk.

"Hi, um, we're here to see Tom Walsh. He's my.. Father," she choked on her tears. Harry put his hand on her back.

"Yes, he's in room five. You're mothers in there, too. Go in slowly," the receptionist told them calmly. Sam was already walking down the hall.

"Thank you," Harry said politely. He jogged after her. Sam slowly opened the door to where her father was. He looked so peaceful. He lied in bed, his head cocked up a bit. The breathing tube in his nose looked dreadful to Sam. Her lip quivered a little looking at his almost gone body. She then looked around the room to see her family. Her mom with her eyes red from crying, her uncle, aunt, cousins. Everyone. Her mom looked at her with teary eyes.

"I'll be in the waiting room," Harry whispered in Sam’s ear and left. She stood there, just staring at her dad. The person who was there for her for everything. The man who gave her candy before dinner when she was six. The man who taught her everything. She looked up at her mom, telling her to come give her a hug. Sam walked over and rapped her arms around her mother.

"You can cry," she said to Sam. Sam let out her tears until her face was drenched. Why did this have to happen to her? Again, she thought, life wasn't fair. "Do want to talk to him?" Her mom asked as she wiped Sam's tears off her wet face. She nodded. Her mom led the others out of the room as Sam kneeled beside her father's hospital bed.

"Hi, dad." She said. "I don't want you to go. I really don't." Her lip quivered again, but she went on. "When you get up there, promise you will say hi to grandma for me?" She held his hand as a tear fell on his bed. "I know I can be a pain, like the time I accidentally ruined your chance at that job offer," she laughed at herself. "But, I do love you. I feel like I didn't tell you that often enough. I do love you, and I always will." She stopped herself there to swallow. "I'll take care of mom. Don't worry." She smiled at him and looked out the window. There were no clouds so her dad could reach heaven in peace. "Take care of him," she whispered still looking out the window at the sky. She looked back at him and sighed. She got up and kissed him on the forehead. Smiling back at him, she walked out the door. Her mom looked at her with soft eyes and hugged her again.

"Do you want to stay through?" Her mom asked. Sam shook her head. "Okay. One of the boys can take you home."

One of the boys? She let go of her mom. Sam walked into the waiting room to find Harry, Liam, and Niall getting up from their seats. She felt butterflies building up inside her. Liam gulped hard.

"Hey," he managed to say. All of them looked so good. So amazing. So right. All of them were here for her. Nothing else.

"We're sorry about your father," Niall said. Right as he did so, Patricia and Zayn walked in. Sam looked at Zayn right as he spotted her. He stopped and looked at the three boys, then her again. Sam opened her mouth to say something to Zayn, but nothing came out. He went up to hug her. Sam's eyes became a waterfall as she walked out with all four boys. What did she get herself into?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author’s note:

Hey guys. It was a little hard to write this chapter considering I lost a lot of my family from cancer. Recently I lost my grandpa from lung cancer, actually. If you're going through with the same thing, it might sound cheesy but, there are a lot of people going through the same thing. It's hard to talk about it so I expressed my mind through the story.

Please comment on how you liked it :) sorry about the sadness!!

~Michelle xoxo