Chapter 30 - Healing Konoha

Naruto and Gaara's figures start coming into view. Both of them were tired and out of chakra. The only thing Naruto can do now is talk some sense into Gaara.

Both Temari and Kankuro jump down next to Gaara, probably to protect him. Just in case they were there to attack, I did the same. I squat down next to Naruto.

"Hello", I murmur with smirk planted on my face.

Kankuro and Temari look at us with threatening looks on their face.

"You okay Naruto?" I ask, concerned.

"Yeah", he grins tiredly.

I smile and ruffle his hair the way I would with my brother.

The siblings make a slight movement towards us. My crystal starts growing out of the ground, not allowing them to get any closer.

"I suggest staying where you are", I say calmly.

"Don't fight them", Gaara speaks out, "Let's stop."

His voice showed vulnerability and acceptance. I smile. He's come to his senses.

I let my crystal retreat back into the ground.

"Gaara..." murmurs Kankuro, a shocked look dawns on his face. The look quickly disappeared within a few seconds.

He kneels to the ground and slings Gaara's arm over his shoulder.

The three siblings face us and jumps away quickly.

"Bye Gaara", I murmur.

I look down at Naruto to find that he was already unconscious. A grin is spread widely across his face.

He's an interesting one.

---

The news of the Hokage's death spread like a wildfire. Once we got back into the village, it was the only thing people talked about.

He died a shinobi's death. An honorable one.

The following day was his funeral. I put on the black robe given to everyone to wear on a day like this. I fixed up nicely to show respect. Even though we are from different villages, I had high respects for the Hokage.

I step out of my apartment to find Sasuke already waiting for me. We didn't say a word and took off to find Naruto and Sakura.

The sky is dark and cloudy. It felt as if a heavy weight has been put on this village's shoulders.

---

The whole village stood in lines in front of the Hokage's grave. Our heads all bow down. A few people let out a few tears. Everyone remains silent.

"The funeral for the Third Hokage, who lost his life in this battle as well as the other victims who gave up their lives, will begin now", announces one of the Hokage's council members.

Raindrops start falling from the sky.

We stand in line to place white flowers on top of his grave. One by one, we add another one of the flowers to the large collection. I look around me and my eyes land right beside on Naruto. His life seemed almost drained from him. His usually bright eyes were dull.

I place a hand on his shoulder. He looks up at me, a blank look on his face.

Konohamaru, who is right next to us, cries softly. Iruka kneels down and hugs him tightly.

Every single one of these people has been impacted by the Hokage. He leads them to become something bigger and stronger. He had become someone everyone looked up to. Now he's gone. He can no longer provide that encouragement. It makes my heart twist to think of it like that.

"Why, Iruka-sensei. Why do people risk their lives for others?" asks Naruto.

Iruka looks away, thinking deeply.

"When one dies... they disappear... Along with his past, current lifestyle, and his future. Many people die in missions and wars. They die easily and in surprisingly simple ways. Those who die have goals and dreams. But everyone has something as important as those. Parents, siblings, friends, lovers... People who are important to you. They trust and help each other. The bond between the people important to you since birth and the string that binds them becomes thicker and stonger over time. It's beyond reason. Those bound to you by that string will do that. Because it is important..."

Those words meant everything to me. What I'm willing to do for my family is bound by strong strings. I'm willing to die for them. If I could, I would choose to die and have them all live. The fact that there is no choice kills me.

"Yes... I think I understand... Somewhat", murmurs Naruto, "But... it's painful when someone dies."

"The Third didn't die for nothing", a voice behind us says. I see the familiar silver-haired jonin.

He continues, "He left something important in all of us. You'll find out what eventually."

Naruto gives a smirk. The life in him has returned.

"Yeah, I think I understand that, too. Somewhat."

I look at the sky, curiously.

"The rain stopped", I murmur.

The clouds start drifting away from one another, revealing the bright sun.

I guess it's time for this stage of darkness to be over.

---

School. School. Screw school. Sorry for the short chapter. I'll post the next chapter soon!