Chapter 43 - Bombs and Kunais Galore

"The mission is completed. Kataoka Isao is dead and his body is disposed", Itachi reports.

Pein nods, "Good. You two are dismissed. Rina, I need to speak with you."

I nod and watch Itachi and Kisame bow, then head for the door.

Before they could leave, Pein coughs, "Kisame. I believe you owe me 200 ryos."

I gape. He was a part of the bet, too? Ugh.

Kisame grumbles, "Yeah, yeah. I'll get it to you after you're done with Rina."

The two exit the room, leaving me, Pein, and Konan alone. I huffed in frustration. Why are people betting on me and Itachi?

"I don't appreciate everyone making a bet on me and Itachi", I state, clenching my teeth.

He clearly hears me because amusement flashes before his eyes, but as quick as it came, it disappeared before I could actually process it.

Pein ignores my issue with the bet and continues, "I have some things I have to discuss with you."

"So you said", I drawl. His eyebrow twitches and Konan chuckles.

"Your deal with Orochimaru", he states.

I frown, "Oh, yeah... Sorry, I forgot."

I'm not even going to ask how he found out about that. No one but Kabuto and Orochimaru knows.

"How long are you working for him?" he asks.

"A month, unless he dies soon, then the deal would be annulled", I answer, hoping that would be the case.

"Unless that happens, you will spy on him and assassinate him if the situation seems appropriate", Pein orders.

"Yeah... Because there'll be random days where I feel like murdering the snake", I mutter to myself.

"Will you be okay?" Konan asks, worried.

I nod with a smile. I was used to protecting myself. It should be fine, but one month with that creep makes me shudder.

"Since that is settled, we have to talk about your appearance", Pein moves on.

I narrow my eyes, "Is there something wrong with the way I look?"

"Do you want people to recognize you as the Princess?" he asks, countering my defensive stance. I shake my head.

"We don't either. We don't want extra attention on the Akatsuki, especially not now. There are already rumors that the Princess is a member of the Akatsuki. You have a higher bounty than anyone here. People will soon be trying to hunt the Akatsuki down in search of the Princess", he explains, "Just like you, we don't people knowing the Princess is here. We don't want the attention and you don't want the controversy when you lead the Hidden Crystal."

"Then what do you want me to do? I refuse to dye my hair or change my appearance permanently", I mutter stubbornly.

"You will wear a mask that will match your... character", he states, tossing the mask at me. I catch it and examine it.

It was probably made for a masqurade ball or something. It had pretty lace covering black satin. It covered only the top half of my face. When he said "character", he clearly meant for my Siren.

"Is that fine with you? We can go buy another one for you if you want", Konan offers.

I shake my head, "No, this is fine. It's beautiful."

"Good", Pein says, "You are dismissed."

I bow and quickly leave the room. As soon as I enter the main room, I was greeted with a majority of the members fighting. I sigh and walk past them, into the kitchen. I pour myself water.