xᴠɪɪ. Beauty in Pain

Start from the beginning

As soon as he's gone, Jeongguk sputters out a confused "Uh..." and she snaps her head back at him.

"What?" She says.

"Now that was awkward."

"Oh shut up," she huffs and glances at her champagne glass. "I'm thirsty. Can we get a refill?"

Just as the both of them stand, the lights go dimmer and all of a sudden there's a spotlight on the dance floor in the centre of the room. The room erupts with cheer when the bride and groom move towards it, hand in hand.

"How romantic," Yerim sighs, all motives of refilling her glass gone as she sees the man she used to love dancing graciously to the tune of Flightless Bird with his bride.

Jeongguk tears his eyes away from the scene to stare at Yerim. He sees her clutching the glass in her hand tightly, but her focus is trained on the dance floor just like everyone else. He takes her hand again and she finally casts him a glance. He smiles at her, a sign of comfort and reassurance.

When the song finally comes to an end, the guests are free to move to the dance floor to dance. Couples begin to sway to the music with smiling faces and eyes filled with love. Yerim still hasn't moved from her spot. That is, until Jeongguk clears his throat from beside her.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she snaps out of her daze and tilts her empty glass towards him. Before she can run off, Jeongguk pulls her back by the arm.

"Nuh-uh, we're dancing like everyone else."

She stares at him with wide eyes but he doesn't give her a chance to response before he's dragging her to the centre of the room, blending in immediately in the centre of the crowd of moving bodies.

Yerim shifts awkwardly in her spot and mumbles a quiet "I can't dance."

Jeongguk merely chuckles and places her hands on his shoulders. "Funny story, I can't either. We'll just do what the other people are doing."

She rolls her eyes and laughs. "You're impossible."

The slow music of Lord Huron's The Night We Met twirls like thread around them. Yerim can't count how many times she had squished his foot under her own. Still he smiles brightly as their heels click over the ballroom floor. He watches as her hair spins out and bounce more with each move and beat. This is perfect. This is dancing and art coming to life, strong pointed moves didn't matter here. All that matters is the person in front of you; All that matters is Park Yerim.

"For the record, you smell amazing. I need some more of that," he says into her ear as he leans down close.

She smiles and shakes her head, attempting to stifle her shy giggles. "Stop that. You're making me embarrassed."

"You're making me embarrassed. I don't think I'm worthy enough to be dancing next to a goddess like you."

"For heaven's sake, have you looked at yourself in the mirror before you got here?" Yerim steps on his foot, this time on purpose and Jeongguk lets out a soft whine.

And then he pulls his face away from her and the music changed. Their paces quicken, and it is hard to keep up with these quick flowing steps. Yerim could relate; her dress is getting in the way and her flats were somehow making her steps clumsy.

Or maybe she's just clumsy because she's with him.

Jeongguk notices her discomfort and chances his stance to make it easier for her to follow. His grip on her hand tightens and he gives it a comforting squeeze. It makes her heart skip a beat.

Suddenly, the music changes its pace again, this time another slow and relaxing song. He smirks at her slightly, the sudden confidence rushing in, and pulls her body closer to his. Yerim could practically feel her cheeks burning, and that only seems to make Jeongguk's teasing smile broaden.