ᴠ. Moonbyul

CHAPTER FIVE

"Adventures are all very well in their place. But there's a lot of to be said for regular meals and freedom from pain."

Jeongguk finds that reading outside in the soft evening breeze is the most relaxing thing he has felt all week

Jeongguk finds that reading outside in the soft evening breeze is the most relaxing thing he has felt all week. The setting of the sun casts rays of orange and red upon his skin and the pages in his hand. He traces the words one by one, silently mouthing them as he reads. He makes sure not to miss a single word, just as he's always done during all the times he's read this book.

For a moment he feels himself drifting off into another world. A world where everything is possible and magic and unicorns and falling stars exist.

He wishes that it were possible. Magic.

If someone were to ask if what he would do if he could do magic, he'd bring all his loved ones back to life. His uncle, his cousin, his grandmother, his father. He'd gather them around a campfire like they always did together and start a barbeque session and roast marshmallows and tell ghost stories that will scare him out of his wits.

And despite not being able to sleep at night, he wishes that he could listen to those ghost stories again. As long as he got to listen to his grandfather's gentle voice and hear his other relatives laugh beside him.

He's in the hospital courtyard. Somewhere he found quiet and perfect for a nice read. He flips the page and finds himself at the last chapter of the book. Deciding to save it for another day, he does a wrap up and closes the book. He lifts his head up and takes in a deep breath of fresh air, indulging himself in the feeling of being able to let go of everything else for a moment.

When he finally makes up his mind to head back to his room, he stands up and starts strolls to the entrance when his eyes land on a familiar figure figure running through it.

This time, Yerim isn't alone; There's a little girl tugging her by her hand. If Jeongguk guesses correctly, he thinks that she must be less than 10 years old. The girl has a wide smile plastered on her face and her eyes are lighted up with excitement. She's holding a small box under her arm. Jeongguk drags his eyes back to Yerim who seems like she's struggling to keep up with the kid's energy.

She may be hyperactive, but she's still incomparable to those kids. Jeongguk lets out a chuckle at the thought.

As if feeling his presence, Yerim catches sight of Jeongguk's smile and smiles back. Jeongguk looks back at the entrance and down at the book in his hands. There wouldn't be much things to do in my room anyway. He follows the pair to a table in the middle of the courtyard.

"Hey, human," Yerim greets him with a warm smile when he approaches. The little girl takes her seat across the table from Yerim and places the box on the table before opening it and digging through the contents.