x. Mission

CHAPTER TEN

"I just want you to know,' said the girl, coldly, 'that whoever you are and whatever you intend with me, I shall give you no aid of any kind, nor shall I assist you, and I shall do whatever is in my power to frustrate your plans and devices.' And then she added, with feeling, 'Idiot'."

Almost 3 weeks after the most awkward first encounter ever (at least, Jeongguk thinks it is), he finds himself sitting across from Yerim at one of the tables in the cafeteria

Almost 3 weeks after the most awkward first encounter ever (at least, Jeongguk thinks it is), he finds himself sitting across from Yerim at one of the tables in the cafeteria. He takes note of his surroundings and the weird glances he gets from the other people who walked by.

Maybe it's not just him they're staring at. Yerim's holding a paintbrush in her hand too, and she's painting with so much passion and enthusiasm that for a moment, Jeongguk thinks that everything in her mind is focused solely on the way her brush moves on the smooth surface of the table. Like everything else in the world means nothing except for the way she takes her careful strokes.

"You've gotten better," she tells him when she finally drops her brush to examine his work.

Surprised at the sudden compliment, Jeongguk leans back to take a better look at his work. He's drawn stars, exactly the way Yerim taught him how to. In the middle of the stars is a girl in a dress, floating in the air with her arms outstretched.

"I learned from the best," Jeongguk says with a satisfied smile.

Yerim looks more than proud. "A long time ago you would've said that this was illegal. What happened to staying under the radar, goody two shoes?"

Jeongguk huffs. "It's more fun this way."

She pats his back with a clean hand. "It's more fun being bad, isn't it?"

He smiles in response. "I need help drawing the milky way," he says, and for the next half hour, he's moving his hands to Yerim's lead.

(With her hands above his own).

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The morning after that, Jeongguk has just gotten comfy in his own bed, ready to spend the day alone to read when his door slides open and two heads popped inside his room.

"You've got donuts?" Jeongguk's eyes widen when he sees the large box in Moonbyul's tiny hands.

Yerim, in a brighter mood than usual, pats her hand on the younger girl's shoulder and nods. Moonbyul lifts the box up to Jeongguk with the cutest smile. Jeongguk instantly goes soft inside. "Eomma told me to share it with my friends!"

Jeongguk's eyes dart from Moonbyul to the box of donuts to Yerim's amused face. And then, leaning down, he carefully takes the box from Moonbyul's hand and takes a peep in. With a reassuring nod from Yerim, he says "Let's share it then, shall we?"