ɪ. Stargirl

CHAPTER ONE

There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire.

It's funny how the universe brings two people together sometimes

When it finally brings Jeongguk and Yerim together, its like two completely different worlds, yet so similar in a way, colliding into each other at a million miles per hour.

But unlike any other typical encounters, this one's a little strange, although unexpectedly pleasant.

Long after the first light of dawn, Jeon Jeongguk finds himself on the hospital bed waiting for his mother and the doctor, eyes scanning across the words printed on the pages of the book in his hands.

Stardust is a book he's owned for a couple years now. And at first it might seem like an old uninteresting book no one would ever want to touch, but he's grown to treasure it dearly. He remembers finding it in an old bookstore that was so dark and dusty that people didn't even bother to step one foot in.

But treasures are always hidden in the dark.

He knows the story by heart but no matter how many times he reads it, he's still pretty much entertained; it's about a boy in search of a fallen star from the sky that he wants to present to a girl he wants to marry. However, the star isn't just a star. It's a girl who he marries in the end.

Jeongguk wonders if such things are possible. Do stars really fall? Will he find one someday?

Will he ever fall in love?

He lifts his head up for the first time in 30 minutes and stares around the room. Maybe not in this life, he thinks.

It's the first time in his life that he could afford to go private. He expects to be eaten up by guilt, knowing how bad the other system is. But being in this room is like walking into an expensive New York coffee shop.

There are flowers, beautiful paintings, leather chairs and soft music. On the wall is a plasma screen and the bed looks so comfortable. Just one foot through the door and he's as relaxed as he would be in a hotel.

Except that he isn't in a hotel, he's in a hospital. With a disease.

Jeongguk releases a long, exasperated sigh and turns back to his book. He just has a couple more chapters until the ending and he's planning on finishing the book today.

He's just about to flip to the next page when all of a sudden the door to his room slides open and a girl with dark raven hair in a pale blue hospital gown appears. Her cheeks are flushed and she's seemingly out of breath. Like she's been running for miles before that.

For a few seconds, Jeongguk just stares at her with wide, puzzled eyes like a bug as she catches some air and slides down to the floor. The girl then turns to Jeongguk and flashes him a rather sheepish smile.