My eyes widened and I could feel my chest starting to tighten. I watched my mother's eyes turn black as she turned to me with a smile.

"Hello, Miss Solomon." Her voice sounded male and demonic as her entire body changed it's posture. It still looked like my mother but she didn't act the same. 

"Who are you?" I asked as I pressed my back against the passenger door.

"I am Sergius, one of The Council members. We approved of your family vacation and just wanted to check in to see how it was going."

I didn't believe him, and I was unsure of whether to hold in my sarcasm or not.

"Afraid to speak?" He asked.

"I don't trust many demons, especially ones that are possessing my mother."

I watched her grin and it was one of the creepiest things I had ever seen. My brain was having trouble processing that my mother's body was being possessed. Could she feel it? Was she in pain? Where was her soul right now?

"Get out of her body."

"She's all right in here. Just think of it as she's taking a little nap."

"What do you really want?"

"Like I said, just checking in on you. We want to remind you that the Ceremony is tomorrow night. We will not postpone it again, although we are punishing him for asking this."

"Punishing who?"

"The demon king, of course." He sounded pleased that I was concerned for him.

"It wasn't his fault that I had to attend a family gathering."

"So are you suggesting that we punish you instead?"

I did agree with that, but I was scared to answer out loud. He was still inside of my mother's body, and I didn't want him to hurt her.

"Please get out of my mother. You can punish me later."

He laughed then. "Luckily for you, The Council only deals with demon matters. That is why we are punishing the king instead. But on a personal level..." he leaned in to get a closer look at me and it took everything I had not to open the door and run. 

"I will take you up on that punishment. There must be something interesting about you if you have the demon king's attention."

I didn't respond as he hovered over my for a few more moments and then returned to his seat. 

"Please enjoy your night Miss Solomon, because it will be your last." 

          I felt a cold wind leave the car as my mother's eyes turned back to normal. She blinked a few times and looked around as if she had just woken up.

"Wha-" She tried to figure out what was going on and I looked at the policeman. The demon had gone back into him and he smiled as he handed her back the paperwork.

"Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice day."

She took it from his hands before he walked off and she looked at me with a confused expression.

"What just happened? Did I faint?"

"I think so. We haven't had lunch yet and we did a lot of walking. Wanna grab some food?" I asked trying to sound upbeat as my heart went crazy in my chest. 

"Yeah."

         She took us through the nearest drive-thru and I ordered a chicken salad while she ordered a sandwich and fries. She shook her head when she looked at me.