๑۞ 𝔚𝔦𝔷𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔞𝔪𝔬𝔱 ۞๑

I'd made sure there wasn't a single crease marring my clothing by smoothing it a hundred times, but my hair had given me grief, as it always does, at the worst possible moments. Thankfully, Ginny helped me pin it in place this morning with several dozen bobby pins, and it was clearly never coming undone without the use of an unjinxing spell. Even so, my fingers kept patting and checking it's structure of their own volition.

     Harry, Ronald, and Mr. Weasley were watching me, which only intensified my nervousness over making a very public appearance in front of the entire Wizarding world in order to ensure that Severus gained his freedom.

     Speaking of which, the trial was going to start within the next few minutes, and the Professor was nowhere in sight, making me wonder for the hundredth time what was keeping him. I mentally rolled my eyes at my own stupidity for not having told him to be here at least ten minutes earlier than he really needed to be; I was having flashbacks of his last-second grand entrances into potions every class session.

     While pondering my theory that the potions master staged his dramatic entrances, I'd started hearing the clicking of shoes in his notorious paced walk. At that point, I shook my head to clear it of my wayward thoughts and wondered if I'd gone batty.

     "There he is," Harry spoke up, a smile lighting his drained face as he pushed away from the wall he'd been leaning against.

     My gaze followed Harry's, and I let out a relieved breath when landing on the always black-clad man swooping towards us across the marble flooring.

     Harry rushed passed me and surprised us all by hugging Severus before he began animatedly speaking to him.

     A smile played across my face as I realized this beautiful moment was unfolding, and I was the reason it could happen.

     "Severus, I'm glad you're feeling better," Mr. Weasley interrupted the exchange, having made his way over to the Potions Master to shake his hand and exchange pleasantries.

     I started nervously babbling to Ronald to cover up the fact that I was blatantly staring at the tall, dark-haired man. "He looks well, you wouldn't know he'd been nearly dead." I swallowed hard, trying to get rid of the taste of guilt I was feeling about being attracted to Snape when I genuinely do love Ron.

     "He looks okay," Ron mumbled.

     The trio was making their way over to us, and Severus's eyes seemed to suck me into their depths, heating my whole body. It felt like the air had stopped from getting into my lungs when I noticed his eyes flick to Ronald, whose sweaty hand was possessively clamped around mine, then back to me in a way that made me feel like I'd been caught breaking the rules at school.

     Harry and Mr. Weasley said their goodbyes and wished me luck before heading into the courtroom.

     Ronald whispered sweet assurances in my ear, believing I was only nervous over the upcoming trial, not Severus, "You'll be brilliant Mione."

     "Thanks, Ron." I gave him the warmest smile I could muster before being caught off guard as he planted a generous kiss on me.

     His weary blue eyes gave Severus a strange look, and he appeared to be getting ready to say something that I hoped would sound somewhat supportive or at least intelligent. Thankfully, he snapped his mouth shut before nodding awkwardly and walking into the adjoining room to sit with Harry and the rest of the Weasleys.

     "Hello Severus," I greeted him as I silently thanked Merlin that Ronald hadn't outgrown his fear of Snape and had quickly left so I could have a few moments to speak with the Potions Master beforehand.