"I guess–"

"Miss Foley," Both the teenagers turn around and see Ms. Byers waiting impatiently by the door, "You and Mr. Dempsey can have a conversation after class. I'm sure Zach has a class that he needs to get to as well."

The pair of them turn red. Zach is the first to speak, "Sorry Ms. Byers, I'm heading to class. See you, Tristan."

Tristan gives him a small smile before entering her class.

"So what did Zach Dempsey even want?" Caroline speaks up an hour later as the two return to the locker room from their P.E. class.

Tristan shrugs and she turns her head when Caroline takes off her uniform. It is loud in the room, with the other girls from their class shouting to their friends or whispering rumors from over the lockers, "I don't really know, he just wanted to see how I was doing."

"Weird." Her friend says, now pulling her boots back on.

"Weird." Tristan agrees. She pulls her top off and throws it into her locker, grabbing ahold of the material of her long sleeve shirt.

Tristan hears a sudden gasp for air and looks up to see Caroline staring at her, "Tris..."

Tristan follows the gaze that her friend has set and glances down at her arms. Her heart drops.

The deep purple bruises that littered her skin a few days ago have now turned an ugly shade of green. The girl has been trying to keep them hidden, but with the lack of sleep she has had, Tristan had completely forgot.

"It's nothing," Tristan says fast, jerking her arms through the sleeves and looking away from her friend. She hurries with the rest of her clothing and she and Caroline head to lunch, the other girl has yet to say another word. Tristan's heart is pounding in her chest, she doesn't know exactly why, but the thought of Caroline thinking less of her because of her bruises won't get out of her head.

The two sit down at their usual table, Caroline pulling out her lunch while Tristan looking through her phone. Caroline finally breaks her silence, "You're not gonna eat, Tris?"

"I'm not that hungry." Tristan glances away. What if someone else saw her arms, she thinks, what would happen if someone told a teacher? Would her and Justin be taken away? She was so stupid for not remembering about the marks covering her arms and having them out for anyone in the locker room to see. Justin would hate her.

"You can have some of mine," Caroline offers, there is a look in her eyes and Tristan can't place it. The last thing she wants is pity, and Caroline is the last person she wants it from. Tristan shakes her head.

Caroline looks away for a moment before trying to change the subject, "Well, I got a B on that paper for Byers, what about you?"

"I got a C. She said that I didn't put enough effort into my sources." Tristan rolls her eyes; she shouldn't have taken Honor's English. She's not good enough.

There is a pause with their conversation, Caroline finishing her meal and the constant chatter of students puts sound between their silence. Caroline speaks up again, "Do you want to stay with me this weekend?"

Tristan sees that same look in her friend's eye, but she continues on, "My parents keep asking to see you again. I think they think I paid you to show up last time and they think I have no friends."

"You don't have to do that." Tristan says flatly, an agitating feeling rising within her.

Caroline looks taken aback, "What?"

"I don't need you to feel sorry for me." Tristan says lowly, understanding the reasoning behind the sudden sleepover invitation.

"Tristan, what are you talking about? That's not what's going on at all­–"

Tristan's face is hot, and she abruptly stands up from the table, "I need to get my notes before my next class. I'll see you later."

She hears her friend call after her, but Tristan quickly exits the cafeteria. She exhales heavily as she enters the empty hallways, her back hitting the lockers behind her and she rubs her eyes.

"Tris?"

The girl looks up and her eyes meet the brown eyes of Zach Dempsey, "Oh, hey."

"I saw you walk out of the cafeteria... You okay?" Zach's shoes squeak against the tile as he moves closer towards the girl.

Tristan feels herself roll her eyes, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Zach's eyes widen for a second in panic, "Oh, there's no reason! I just saw you talking to your friend and thought–"

"I don't need you looking out for me." Tristan spits. She moves past Zach and heads towards her locker.

Why is everyone trying to give her charity? She doesn't need anyone's help. She has gone this far with no one; Tristan isn't expecting anyone to be there for her now.

__

this chapter has been revised 1.1.21