C H A P T E R 26 : Layla

Thursday

January 17th, 2014

4:30 p.m.

     As I sat in the mall with my girls and Tyrone I knew this was all the right medicine I needed to help recover from my tragic week before. It’s been a week or so since I’ve talked to Darien and to be honest, it felt great. I haven’t heard his voice or seen his face, and I didn’t plan on changing that anytime soon; if he wants to be childish and play games, then so will I.  “All I’m sayin’ is,” Angel began. “I’m happy that you left that triflin’ ass nigga.”

“Yeah me too Lay,” Diamond chimed in. “You deserve so much better.”

     All I could do was plaster a smile on my face. “Normally I wouldn’t agree with these lonely, don’t know which way to go thots, but I’m happy too, his ass ain’t worth it you got bigger and better shit to worry about.” Tyrone agreed as he added his two cents.  “He left you for one of his hoes and that’s where his ass better stay.” Tyrone declared as we walked through the mall gawking at potential eye candy. “Chile’ I think Milan is finna’ come out.” Tyrone announced as a sexy light skin walked pass.

“No matter how much y’all hate Darien he’s still my baby daddy and I’m still gon’ have to put up with him.” I told them. “Y’all need to understand and respect that he’s gonna be around for a long ass time.” I told them. “We’re just going through problems.” As I said my last word my Iphone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket and starred at the screen as the foreign number continued to blare across my screen. I dismissed the number and went back to the conversation.

    We sat down at a nearby cafeˊ table. We laughed and joked about everything up under the sun as we reminisced about the past. I felt my phone vibrate. I pulled it out, did the code and went to the text message. My mood changed from happy to nervous as I read the text.

“Lay you okay?” I heard Diamond question.

“No I’m not.” I admitted as I looked up to her. “I’ve been receiving these weird phone calls and text messages from an unknown number and I’m starting to become worried you guys.”
“Just calm down Lay,” Angel comforted. “Maybe it’s just one of De’s hoes, De’ or ‘nesha messin’ with your head.” she suggested.

“You know just like I know that Darien wouldn’t do no petty shit like this.” I reminded her. “And I damn sure know he wouldn’t let Kanesha’s ass do it either.”

“I don’t know after all that’s been going down I wouldn’t put it pass him.” Tyrone added. I didn’t respond. Killing the awkward silence I changed the subject. Not even five minutes into the conversation my phone ringtone sounded again. I looked down to it and noticed that it was the foreign number again. “Is that it?” Tyrone asked. I shook my head yes and Tyrone quickly grabbed it.

“Ty no!” I yelled as he answered.

“Hello?” he snapped. “Hello!” Tyrone yelled into the phone. I snatched it away and hung up. “Why’d you do that?” he asked.

“Cause ,” was all I told him. I sat the phone down on the table in front of me. “I don’t wanna’ give them a reason to keep calling,” I told him. The phone rang again and this time I sent it to voicemail. A minute later my notification for my voice box sounded.

“Did they leave you a message?” Angel asked.

“Yeah.” I answered.

“Well aren’t you gonna’ check it?” she questioned.