C H A P T E R 4 : Birthday Surprise.

Friday

June 5th, 1995

3:45 p.m.

*Two weeks later*

"Mommy and daddy, look at me!" Layla yelled as she jumped rope.

Kodeni and Jeremiah looked over at Layla, who was a few feet away playing jump rope with her cousins.

"I'm jumping, daddy! I'm jumping!" she repeated excitedly.

"I see China-Doll," he said. "Let me see you jump higher."

Jeremiah watched his daughter repeatedly jump higher. Once he realized his daughter's attention was somewhere else, he directed his attention toward his wife. He pulled her in closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Don't jump to high Layla," Kodeni warned.

Jeremiah stooped down and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Relax, ma, it's her birthday, let her have fun," he said softly.

Kodeni didn't say anything; she just chuckled. Her body relaxed against him as he placed gentle kisses to her neck. She giggled like a middle-aged school girl. "Don't tease me, daddy, you gon' start something you can't finish." She joked.

He laughed. "We can duck off for a quickie if that's what you hinting at," he said.

A smile spread across her face. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?" she asked playfully. She turned around. They were now facing each other. Kodeni stared up at Jeremiah, and he looked down at her. Gripping the back of his neck, she pulled his head closer and kissed his lips. The kisses she placed to his lips made his manhood stand at attention, so she pulled away and turned back around.

Jeremiah took note of what Kodeni' had just done. "Guess we gon save the rest for tonight?" he asked.

"Mhm." Kodeni agreed.

The pair went quite. Kodeni stood in front of Jeremiah while he stood behind her with his arms still wrapped tightly around her waist. They were enjoying each other's company. They were vibin' and watching everyone enjoy themselves, internally grateful that everyone decided to come and celebrate with them. It was moments like this that made Jeremiah thankful that he could be around his wife, child, and family with no worries.

It was no secret that Jeremiah and Kodeni were huge party animals. They threw parties for just about any occasion; birthdays, weddings, 4th of July, you name it. Almost every other day, there was a party at their house, and they made sure to never repeat the same theme twice. It was a delight and a pleasure whenever the couple could throw a party. They loved having family gatherings at their home; hell, it's the main reason why they got a big house. It was never a dull moment in their home, and today was just another moment at the King's house.

The party's atmosphere was filled with cigar smoke, barbecue, loud music, and laughter as everyone enjoyed themselves. The backyard was crackin' and filled to capacity with nothing but friends and family. What better way for everyone to bond and get closer than for it to be at a vibrant, extravagant birthday party? There were all types of Minnie Mouse decorations that any child could imagine. It was a great way to ring in their daughter's third birthday. Jeremiah and Kodeniˊ were definitely proud of the turnout. It was great that all of Layla's family from both sides could celebrate her birthday with her.