Chapter 66

The break into Cybertek had gone well, even if it hadn't exactly gone as planned. They got the files they needed just....in a much more 'hard copy' format. Literally. Cybertek had not one single electronic filing system, everything was paper and manila folders. And it was taking for damn ever to go through all of them.

Back at the motel, the ragtag group of rogue agents sat around an umbrella table, looking through files.

"So, we've established that Garrett was the first Centipede solider. Way back in 1990, he started in the Deathlok program, and he was patient numero uno," Coulson said, setting down a folder with a sketch of Garrett in it, each clear layer of the sketch able to be flipped up and shower another inside layer of the man. In his left side was a small metal panel, within which was a crude for of Centipede serum.

Skye frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. "We've been going about this all wrong. Garrett doesn't want GH325 for his soldiers...he wants to inject himself, become a real live boy again. The added bonus is getting an army of super soldiers programmed to follow his order, not the expected outcome."

"So," Leo pipped up, sitting up straighter, "What if that's what is happening to Ward too? What if Garrett got in his mind somehow, or put an implant in his eye?" He sounded so hopeful it made Asia's heart break.

Jemma pressed her lips into a thin line. "Fitz, that isn't happening here," she murmured, patting his hand softly. "When are you going to stop believing he's innocent in all of this?"

"When I see the actual proof with my own eyes," he said defiantly, sinking back down in his chair. "We don't know all the facts. He could easily be brainwashed. Or forced."

Skye rolled her eyes and Asia shot her a sharp look. It wasn't easy for all of them to just automatically believe their trusted teammate had betrayed them. Just because Skye had no doubts, didn't mean they were all that way. "Fitz, Ward murders people," she said, ignoring Asia's glare. "I should have let Mike kill him when I had the chance but....I'm just too weak. I couldn't fucking do it."

Coulson looked over at her, his gaze softening. "You had compassion. It's admirable. Ward will get his day."

Asia couldn't help but hope, for all their sake, that he would.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leo, Jemma, and Asia were going out on a recon mission alone, while the others would try and break into this 'barbershop' they had been reading about. Seemed much more like a front for HYDRA operations, but there was only one way to know for sure. Jemma, Asia, and Leo were supposed to try and track down the Bus, see what recon they could do. Asia, additionally, would provide the muscle. It was going to be strictly recon based, she was there as a 'just in case' precaution.

Trip was helping Asia finish packing up, lending them some items from his Grandfather's Howling Commando days. Leo placed the dwarfs in a suitcase nearby and shut it with a tight click.

"Alright TicTac, you guys need anything else?" Trip asked, handing her a set of binoculars.

"I think we're good. Guys? You want anything else?" Asia turned to Leo and Jemma.

"Mmmm," Leo thought for a moment, "How about one of those little EMP devices?" He asked.

"Of course," Trip said, bending down to grab one out of the box, handing it over to the scientist, who pocketed it.

Jemma smiled to herself, watching her two favourite guys getting along. Asia caught the smile and gave her a pleased look, causing the other scientist to blush and look down at her feet. Asia knew how it felt to see two people she cared about getting along that way. It made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside, too.

Coulson walked into the hangar area, eyeing his agents. "Alright, Fitz, Simmons, Monroe, you know how this goes. Since we're not exactly welcome here, or anywhere, we have to do this off the books, and all on the ground. You know the locations to check, I've marked them on your maps. Do not engage, under any circumstances. Monroe, if by chance your teammates become in need of your more...lethal specialties, do not hesitate, get your teammates out of there, whatever it takes. And radio us the second you find the Bus."

All three agents nodded and Asia gave Coulson a small salute.

"We'll be safe, sir," Jemma affirmed, slinging a backpack over her shoulder and the other two agents did the same.

"You better be," Trip said, giving her a smirk, causing the scientist's pale cheek to flush red. "And TicTac, you keep her safe, ok?" he raised his eyebrows over at Asia, who nodded to confirm. She knew it was her job to make sure they all got home, and she was ready to do whatever it took to make sure that happened.

The three agents moved as a group to leave, and Asia glanced over her shoulder, waving back at the others. Never would she have imagined they wouldn't be returning as the trio they were departing. Never would she have imagined what was about to happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asia was actually kind of enjoying this mission. She had never been to Cuba before, and while the depth of what they were doing and why was not lost of her, to see the land and the culture was always something she could appreciate, even if most of what they were seeing was airports.

The one nice part about the Bus was its size, and that made it terribly difficult to hide. It wasnt long before the three located their plane.

The three of them sat inside a small, abandoned security shelter on the outskirts of the Abel Santa Maria airport, looking through the dusty windows as HYDRA members loaded their plane full of goods.

"Radio Coulson," Asia said to Simmons as she looked through the binoculars, trying to get a glimpse of Ward, but couldn't seem to find him. Perhaps he was already on board the plane. When you were right hand to the ultimate evil, maybe your plane-loading responsibilities were given to lower henchmen.

Jemma pulled the radio out of her bag and queued it up. "Coulson, we've found the Bus." She tried to contain her own excitment. This was a good thing a step forward.

"Really?" His voice crackles back. "That's great. Where are you?"

Leo grabbed the walkie from Jemma and replied. "Just outside Abel Santamaria. About three hours away from your location by car. They're loading up to leave, sir. Youll never make it here in time."

"Don't stay there," Coulson replied back in a serious tone. "Monroe, you hear me? You are to get your agents out of there. Meet us back at our spot. Do not engage."

"Copy that, sir," Leo replied for them all, then handed the walkie back to Jemma who clapped it shut and slid it into her pocket.

Jemma sighed, pushing her red hair back and out of her face, looking out the window at the Bus, before turning to look at Asia. She knew the agent could physically force her back to the car if she so desired. "Asia," she spoke up, looking the Ops agent in the eyes. "I know what Coulson said, but we cant just leave. If we let them go like this, then we might never catch them again..." She trailed off, looking back at their plane.

"I agree," Asia said, much to Jemma's surprise. "What if we didn't have to physically engage? What if we got a tracker on board some how?"

Leo looked at the Bus through his bionoculars. "Brilliant idea, what if we just send one of the dwarfs into the Bus, keep him as a little stow away?"

Jemma clapped her hands together. "Oh that's perfect!" She said enthusiastically. "We'll not only see where they are headed, but hear everything we hear."

"I'll go grab the suitcase from the car," Asia said with a grin. They weren't breaking the rules, not really. Bending them, was a more accurate idea. "You to stay her, I'll be back in a flash!" She said over her shoulder as she moved quickly towards the door.

When she turned to look ahead of herself again, turning to grab the door handle, she ran right into the muzzle of a gun. She froze, feeling the chill of the metal bite into her skin. Looking up, she followed the hands gripping the gun, along the muscular forarms, to look Grant Ward right in the eyes.

"Sorry Monroe," he said, a sad smile covering his lips, "But you're not going anywhere."