Chapter 12

There was not a more relieving sight for Asia Monroe in the history of any point of her life than seeing Grant Ward and Leo Fitz board the Bus, dust flying around their bruised and battered bodies. She looked at Coulson beside her, and he gave her a subtle nod. Not wasting a second, the agent jolted forward, reaching the two within a matter of seconds and throwing her arms around the both of them. They were there, completely, concrete and human, smelling both of sweat, blood, and each of their individual scent. Ward's being faintly of aftershave and soap, Leo's being of spice.

"Oh thank god," She whispered, pressing her lips quickly to each of their cheeks quickly, squeezing them again, and pulling away, "I thought you were done for. I thought that was it."

Ward rolled his eyes, "Jesus, Monroe, give me some credit. Not to mention Fitz here, he really saved the day."

"What?" Asia said, turning to Leo, a smile on her face, "You saved Ward's ass?"

"Erm, yes, I did," Leo said, scratching the back of his head, embarrassed. "The moves you taught me, they came in handy more than I thought." The two of them began to walk into the Lab, where Simmons was standing, a smile on her face.

"Fitz!" She said, clapping her hands together, "You made it back in one piece!"

"He kicked ass, from what I hear," Asia bragged, elbowing her best friend in the ribs.

" I had Ward's back the whole time," Leo affirmed. "What did you two get up to while I was gone?"

Asia grinned and walked to stand beside Jemma, turning to her. The two women met eyes and smiled. There was a sense of understanding between them.

"We teamed up," Asia said with a nod. Leo's eyes widened, a grin on his perfect lips.

"yes, yes we did!" Jemma affirmed. "Asia saved my life, she shot a superior officer in the chest!" She was practically dancing with glee. Asia couldn't help but smiling, too. Leo's grin, on the other hand, fell right off his face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asia was in her room, tossing a tennis ball at the ceiling and catching it was it fell, when a small knock came at her door. She sat up in bed a little, before calling out, "Come in."

She was surprised when Coulson entered, and sat up even further, to appear relatively at attention. "Coulson, what can I do for you?"

Coulson stood by the edge of her bed, looking at the pictures that adorned her walls now, thanks to Leo. Polaroids mostly, Natasha giving her the bird, Asia piggy-backing on Clint, Natasha kissing Asia's cheek, the three of them in various deserts and bars. Everyone had a story behind it. But in addition to her oldest polaroids were new ones, photos of the entire team sitting on the edge of the Bus ramp, Leo laughing in the lab, Skye and Asia with their eyes screwed and tongues hanging out, Asia giving Ward bunny ears. Coulson smiled lightly at them. "I'd love to hear the stories behind these some time," he began.

"Yes sir, although some of them are not exactly team appropriate," Asia said with a light laugh.

Coulson shrugged, "Regardless, good stories I'm sure. Anyways, Monroe, I just came here to apologize. Firstly, I want you to know I never knew that Ward and Fitz didn't have an extraction. You know I never would have been okay with that." The brunette nodded. "Secondly, I wanted to apologize for how we handled the entire situation, not letting you have intel...that was a poor choice. You are a valued member of this team, you earned your rank. I want you to know I will never let you be disrespected like that again. I hope you can accept my apology."

"Of course," Asia nodded with a smile. Coulson nodded back and turned to leave, but Asia called out to him. "Coulson, one quick question!" the man paused. "What is the Fortification Project?"

Agent Coulson looked back at her, a wry grin on his face, the grin that said he knew a secret and he finally got to spill it. "What, you didn't know?" He asked, "Barton didn't tell you yet? I thought he would never be able to keep the secret it. The Fortification Project is a project created to hand train our next Avengers teammembers. And you, Asia, you're in it."