Chapter 51

Asia froze, for the second time ever in her life. She couldn't move. She couldn't quite force herself to believe what she was witnessing. Her eyes were locked on the man in front of her. The man they had trusted. The man they had worked with. The man her friend Trip worked for now. This absolutely could not be happening.

But it was. It was incredibly real. The blood seeping out onto the floor was real, the grin on Garrett's face was real, and the guns pointed directly at them were incredibly real. And the pain she was feeling from clenching her hands so tightly into fists was real as well.

She heard Coulson say something threatening to Garrett involving Fury and an unending wrath, but she felt as if she were miles away and listening through a pool of water. It all came out muffled.

"Oh Coulson," Garrett laughed, shaking his head. "It's going to break your heart, but you've been serving HYDRA all along. We've seeded ourselves so far into your silly little organization that there's more of us left than there are of you." He then let out a low whistle, putting his hands on his hips. "I'm sure now you would follow Fury to his grave so, there's no bother asking you...." He stepped up to May, eyeing her. "And I'm sure you'll follow right on Coulson's heels, just like you always do, like a good little pet."

May refrained from giving the pleasure of giving him a reaction, but only just barely so. She kept her hands behind her back, so no one would notice her undone cuffs.

He then stepped over towards Leo and Asia tensed up. Garrett noticed, flicking her a glance. "Puppy love, ain't it beautiful," he said in a mocking tone. "Now you, Agent Fitz, could be quite useful to us, if you're willing to rank up. And a very high rank, at that. You'll run the entire tech division, and I'm sure you'll keep Agent Monroe here safe, by your side." Garrett cracked his neck, looking at the screen and then back at Fitz. "And you heard me right there, son. You voluntarily join us, you keep your sweet little friend here," he placed a hand on Asia's shoulder, causing her to inhale sharply. She couldn't stop her body from shaking, and it showed. "Alive. And if you don't volunteer, well, you'll still be needed, you'll just be in much, much more pain." He took his hand off Asia's shoulder and turned around, walking back towards his soldiers.

Leo pressed his lips together, then spoke up. "You're going to pay, Agent Garrett, for what you've done." He stood up from his chair and stepped beside Asia, standing slightly in front of her, protectively. "And I plan on being a damn large part of that payback."

Garrett turned back around and gave a short laugh, smiling like a wolf. "Oh son, I like you. Almost enough not to hurt you for saying that. Almost." He turned back towards his soldiers. "Alright boys, let them have it. Kill those three, only get Fitzy over there in the knees, if you will. I want him to watch them bleed."

Asia squeezed her eyes shut and grabbed for Leo's hand, squeezing it, glad to feel his palms were as sweaty as hers. She looked at him, then at May, and Coulson, fully prepared for this to be the last time she saw them, when an explosion rocked beneath their feet, sending them to the floor. The electricity blinked out and for a moment, the room went black. And that one moment was all it took.

Asia somersaulted forward, clenching her hands just so, causing the knives in her wristlets to protrude. She went straight for two of the soldiers, fighting them hand to hand. It wasn't difficult to take them down, slashing each in the stomach, bringing their blood back with her. She turned to see another soldier moving towards Leo, who had pressed himself beneath a desk. Dashing forward, she leaped up, catching her legs around the soldiers neck, knocking him into the railing behind the desk. She flipped back, then whirled, throwing a kick out and knocking the soldier to the floor below.

From behind her, a soldier grabbed her neck, lifting her up. She clambered her hands at his fingers, trying to move her face enough to bite him, but it was no use. She was quickly becomming short of breath when she heard Leo shout her name. She glanced his way, to see a pistol flying towards her. She reached out her hand, grabbing the gun, and quickly ramming the muzzle into the soldier leg and firing twice. The man let out a yell and dropped her, clutching at his bleeding thigh. She looked at Leo, breathing heavily.

"Get down!" he ordered at her, tossing a cylinder towards Coulson. A mini concussive blast, like the kind they have used in South America. Asia dropped to the floor, covering her head, as Coulson detnated it, dropping the other enemies to the ground, Garrett included.

The quartet of SHIELD agents stood up, dusting themselves off. "Okay," Coulson said. "We're all okay, yes?" Each member nodded in affirmation, when the doors flew open.

"Hands up, weapons down!" Agent Hand ordered, as once again, the room filled with soldiers.