Chapter 15

Leo Fitz did not like this, not one bit, not at all. Anyone could tell with one look at him, pacing about the lab, hands occasionally running nervously through his curly locks, moving from the Lab into the briefing room to listen to the rapid Russian that he couldn't even understand, not bothering to read the translations, before pacing back into the Lab, and repeating the entire cycle again.

He had been doing this since the moment Phil Coulson told Agent Monroe not to break orders, and she turned around and broke all the orders. They had no sights on her, even though Ward was moving about rooftops attempting to get vision, find a good shot. What Leo wouldn't give for Clint Barton himself to be the one up on those rooftops protecting his best friend. Surely, someone had to get the girl in vision. He couldn't believe how reckless she was being. How could she?? Going into the deep corners of some building with a dangerous criminal? Ridiculous. He was going to give her a serious talking to when she got back. If she got back.

It was that 'if' that made him pace endless circles. The rest of the team couldn't look at the poor scientist, because simply glancing at him was enough to send waves of worry into their own stomachs. Of course, they could still hear everything Asia was saying, letting the computer auto-translate her Russian to English for all of them to understand. She had been doing a great job, before the small digression from the game plan.

"Ward," Coulson barked out, "Do you have eyes on Monroe yet?"

Over comms, Ward's voice crackled through, rife with frustration, "No, not yet. I'm switching buildings again. There's got to be a line of sight somewhere.....the only center room is that damn ballroom and we even had eyes on that."

"Don't rule out hidden rooms," May gave her input calmly. She had faith, or at least enough faith to not display a hint of worry. Agent Monroe was well trained, she would be fine. She had to be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Asia was following the handsome, dark man through the dimly lit halls of the large building, pretending to admire the paintings on the wall, when in reality she was memorizing their route. She might need a quick escape, and knowing her surroundings would be the only good way.

She had listened to Coulson shout in her ear, but she didn't turn back. She had heard Ward, a touch of concern, suggest maybe she get in a place he where he could see her, but she didn't turn back. She could even faintly hear Leo cursing and mumbling in his beautifully accented voice, hear his worry, but still she didn't turn back. Strike Team Delta wouldn't turn back. She had a job to do, and she would get it done. Nothing would make her turn back.

It helped that he seemed to buy her cover completely. Without that, she would be in a much more difficult situation.

As they continued on through, they made small talk, Asia continuing to smile coyly, winking at the man on occasion, playing into his ego. And Maciej ate it up. It was perfect.

"Alright, little flower, are you ready to see what I have to offer?" He asked in a low whisper. Faintly, Asia could still hear the music thumping in the background.

"I hope it lives up to expectations," she said teasingly. "Father wouldn't like it much if I came back empty handed."

"So your father sends you to do his dirty work, hmm?" the man mused.

"No," Asia replied harshly, "My father and I work together, or we work not at all."

Maciej held his hands up in a mock-surrender, chuckling slightly. "I didn't mean to offend," he explained. "I was simply curious. I didn't know you all worked so tightly together."

"There are many things you do not know about the Volkov's," Asia replied cryptically. If only he knew the half of it.

Shaking his head, the tall man pulled a key from his pocket. It was small, golden, and semi-distinct. Asia did her best to take note of it, to remember it if she were to steal it. Everything about this situation was in the details, she knew that's what Clint would tell her if he were here.

Still, she wasn't prepared for what she saw when he opened the doors. Nothing would have prepared her for that.