Chapter 47

Asia sat herself safely in the co-pilot's seat, adjusting her shoulder harness and settling in against the sheepskin cover. This was one of the places she felt most at home, in the front of a plane, all the world her oyster. Yet, this sanctuary was made far less comfortable by the fact she had no control over this aircraft. Try as she might, the auto pilot would not be switched off. The plane was deadset on taking them to their destination.

She stared out the cockpit window, adjusting the coms piece in her ear. The night sky in front of them was laced with clouds so soft and fluffy, almost appearing to be painted a gentle lavender. It would have been calming. It should have been calming. But, it wasn't.

Suddenly, a warm hand touched her shoulder, squeezing softly. She turned, and it was Leo, standing, watching her. "I, erm, need to work on the controls," he said softly, sitting down in the captain's seat beside her, beginning to fiddle with some of the switches. A heavy silence hung in the air between them.

"I hope you don't actually think I'm working against the team," he said quietly, still fiddling intently with the switches. "You know me Asia, more than anyone here, well, except maybe Simmons. But that's only because she's known me for years. You have to know I wasn't trying to do anything bad."

Asia sat for a moment, watching the skies, searching for the small plane headed their way, before finally speaking. "I know. I know you wouldn't do something detrimental to this team. I just don't like all the secret keeping. If you trust me, you need to be open, or whatever," she finished her words in a small mumble.

Leo couldn't quite bring himself to look at her. He could hear the sorrow and hurt in her voice, and knew it would be displayed in her big eyes, even if it weren't played across on her face. "I know, I'm sorry," he replied finally. "Simmons made me promise, and you know how she is about promises." He flicked one last switch before pressing the button on his ear to active his coms. "We've regained weapons control, Sir," he said, before sliding out of the seat and moving to leave.

Asia grabbed his hand quickly before he exited the door and spoke, turning to look at him. "Just don't make a habit of it, ok?" She pressed her lips into a tiny smile, a sign of her forgiveness.

Leo nodded, a grin slipping over his lips as well. "I won't, you can count on that, Asia." he said with a quick nod, before turning and disappearing from which he had came.

"Garrett, what's your ETA?" Coulson's voice could be heard over coms, and Asia straightened in her chair, hands finding their positions atop the weapon controls.

"Should be at your 9 in 30 seconds," she heard Garrett's rough voice cough back over the communication device. Asia turned her head just slightly so she could see to her left side using her peripheral vision.

"Agent Monroe, do you copy?" Coulson asked for her next, wanting to make sure every agent was in place and ready for what came next.

"Yes, sir, I copy," Asia replied quickly, hoping that the drones wouldn't be prepared for the onslaught she was about to bring. Hoping that if they were, all her teammates were safely strapped in.

"As soon as you see Garrett, open fire," were his quick orders.

Asia took a deep breath and waited. She adjusted the aim of the guns one last time, then placed her hands on the yokes again. She counted slowly in her head, pacing her breathing, waiting, preparing.

Like a bullet, Garrett's jet shot past., followed by three more black shapes. Asia flipped off the lids covering the trigger buttons and methodically, almost as if she were made to do it, made the sky rain fire.