Chapter 34

Asia quickly marched herself to the bridge where Coulson and Ward were waiting. Her bandaged appendages were covered by her trusty leather pants and leather jacket, making her feel much safer than she believed she could be. She wished she could cover up her face the same way, she felt like a monster, like a female Frankenstein, torn apart and patched back together in the wrong fashion. But she didn't have time to think about that now--they were about to be boarded by SHIELD agents, as they had refused a direct order. Coulson hadn't turned over Quinn.

No one was upset about that part of things.

"Really?" Coulson scoffed as Asia walked up to stand next to him and Ward. "All the chaos in the world and SHIELD sends a plane after us?"

"Three small planes," Asia sighed.

Ward nodded, glancing out a window before drawing the shades once more. "A small transport to dock and a pair of F-35s to make sure we hand over Quinn." The thought of handing over Quinn made Asia's fists clench of their own accord.

From above them, there was a loud thump, and the three agents looked skyward. Well, spaceward. "If they scratched my paint I'm gonna be pissed," Coulson muttered.

"We'll await your orders, sir," Asia said with a curt nod, glancing at Ward. Together, they moved to a different, adjacent living room space and sat on a leather couch, waiting, as patiently as they could. The tension between them was annoying.

"I didn't mean for it to happen!" Asia blurted suddenly, staring at her knees. She rested her hands on top of them, studying the bandaids that dotted her fingers. "I didn't mean for her to get hurt, and I know you blame me. Hell, I blame me. It was dumb. She wouldn't let me go in alone, but I should have forced her to stay behind. I just...I messed up Ward. It's my fault."

Ward sat there, staring at her for a moment, completely silent. Without a word, he slid next to her on the couch and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, strong, comforting, and understanding.

"I think I hurt everything I touch," she whispered into his arm, refusing to cry.

"That's the thing about people like us, Monroe," Ward whispered, his hand squeezing her shoulder lightly. "We were made of battle armour and fight songs. We can't not hurt people. We just have to keep going, no matter what."

Asia thought for a moment she would have something else to say, but she closed her mouth and sat in silence.

Suddenly, they heard footsteps. Both agents immediately stood up from the couch, ready for anything.But the figure who entered the room was one of the last Asia expected. A familiar face, at that.

Agent Antoine Triplett. Tall, lanky, beautiful chocolate skin and some of the kindest eyes Asia had ever known.

"Agent Triplett," Ward greeted the other Ops Agent with a polite nod.

"Agent Ward," He nodded in return, before cracking a grin at the shorter brunette, "Hey Tic Tac, long time no see."