22

A/n: madeline i'm not sorry i used y/n and your actual name a lot sooooooo-

●♢●

It has been three months since Y/n last talked to Philip or John or anyone really. She stayed in Monte Cello, went to college, and ignored everyone who tried to comfort her.

She pushed aside all the love and drama and focused on Maria Reynolds' case.

She worked long and hard composing her agruments and statements. She spent countless hours on researching and studying for this. Y/n had been writing letters to Maria, asking how she was holding up or how does James anuse their children, and etc.

Today, she was at Maria's house. Maria had invited her here because her husband James was out of the house, giving them time to chat and talk.

"Is this the Reynolds household?" Y/n asked.

"My mother prefers Lewis than Reynolds." A girl her age replied witha warm smile.

The woman was wearing a dark blue dress with long baggy sleeves, her curly locks tied back into a pony tail.

The woman extended her arm and Y/n shook it firmly.

"Madeline Lewis Reynolds." She said.

"Y/n Jefferson." Y/n replied, givung a smile.

"Come inside, mom really wants to talk with you." Madeline said and led Y/n inside.

What Y/n saw genuinely shocked her. The inside of the house was amazing, the walls were covered with dark red wallpaper, dark oak planks lined up on it, covering quarter of the entire wall.

Madeline led her to the living room where tall windows stood, giving perfect view of the streets, if it wasn't blocked by a velvet curtain.

Maria sat on one of the red couches. Red must have been a family color or something because everything in this houss was red. Even Maria's dress was red.

Speaking of Maria, she looked... uh... not so good.

Dark circles found home underneath her hazel eyes, her brown hair was unruly and untamed, her face seemed thinner, like she hasn't been eating, her eyes lost all the joy they had left in them.

But, nevertheless, she smiled up at the sight of Y/n. It wasn't those cheerful smiles, though, it wasn't a forced one either. It was more of a sad smile that held much grief and pain in it. It broke Y/n's heart to see her like this, but this only made her more determined to help Miss Lewis.

"Y/n, my dear! Have a seat. I have much to tell you." Maria said, patting the empty space next to her.

"Madeline, please excuse me while I talk with Y/n." Maria said.

Madeline nodded, heading upstairs to leave her mother and Y/n Jefferson alone.

"You're daughter is very pretty." Y/n said.

"Thank you, dear." Maria replied.

"You wanted to speak with me?" Y/n asked.

"Ah, yes." Maria replied. "I... I don't think... I just... Can I rant to you?"

Y/n was taken aback but nodded anyways, concern and worry on her face.

"Well, it's that... I feel like completely giving up. Y'know like, screw the divorce and just... restart my life. Everyday, I struggle to keep it together, and I fear my daughters... I fear they feel the same." Maria said, filling the room with sadness. "I want them to have a good life... I can't wait any longer, Miss Jefferson. I can't stand it."

"Just one more week, Miss Maria." Y/n said, taking Maria's hand into hers. "Ph... My partner and I are working on this case. It'll blow over and you can live the life you want. You can give the life your daughters deserve."

"But... I feel so helpless, Y/n!" Maria cried, throwing her arms around Y/n.

Y/n's eyes widened in shock, her body stiffening. Maria just hugged her tighter, crying into Y/n shoulder.

Y/n awkwardly hugged back, rubbing Maria's back and calming her down. This felt weird to Y/n, having a grown woman break down and cry on your shoulder. Nevertheless, she comforted Maria until she was ready to continue talking.

They talked about Maria's problems a lot. Y/n tried to help but she was just a rich college kid, what was she supposed to say to Maria's problems? But she tried. And failed mostly.

This coversation made her less excited about graduating.

"Sometimes I just f-f-feel like... like my children d-d-don't lo-love me... a-a-any more." Maria sobbed, her head rested on Y/n's lap and her hands burying her face.

Y/n just kinda sat there and occassionally petted Maria's soft, curly hair to calm her down.

"They love you, I'm sure of it!" Y/n said, encouragingly.

"A-and Ja-Ja-James keeps hurting them and I just feel so te-terrible." Maria cried, wiping her tears. "I... I feel like I-I c-c-could have d-done so m-m-much more fo... for them."

"It's okay, Maria. One week, and everything will be better." Y/n said, a smile on her face.

Maria looked up to the girl. "Th-thank you, Y/n." She said, the glanced at the grandfather clock. "Ja.. James will be home soon. You better go."

"Yeah, but, ah, can you... get off me?"

●♢●

A/n: oof that was short and mainly a filler uwu