16

"Alexander, my dearest, what the frick frack snicker snack diddly wack are you doing here in the park?" Eliza said when she saw her husband sitting completely still on a park bench.

It was maybe five in the morning, and the sun hasn't risen yet. The sky was still dark but the rays of sun shine peered through the horizon.

Elizabeth sighed and took the seat next to her husband. They sat there for a while, completely silent, conpletely still. But it was a confortable silence, a peaceful still.

She takes his hand.

"It's quiet in town." She noted.

Alex turned to face Eliza and squeezed her soft hand. Elizabeth offered a warm and loving smile, the classic Eliza smile that Alexander had loved from the first time he saw it, and will love till the last time he'll see it.

He returned the smile, only his was tired and stressed out. Eliza could see it, she could see the emotions behind that smile. She dididn ask, however.

"It is quiet in town." Alexander replied.

"What's bothering you, my darling love?" Eliza asked.

"Nothing, my dear Eliza..." He replied. "Just... tired. That's all."

"Alexander, I'm your wife." She said. "I know there's more than 'just tired'."

Alexander sighed. He knew he couldn't hide anything from his dear Betsy. And his dear Betsy knew something was up.

"Is it Jefferson?" She asked

"No..."

"Madison?" She offered.

"Not ever."

"Burr?" Eliza asked. Alex just shook his had in response. Elizabeth raised an eye brow. "Who then?"

"Philip..." Alex admitted.

"As in Philip Philip? Like our son Philip?" She asked, in which her husband nodded in response. "Uhm, why?"

"It's... you remember Philip's thing with Y/n Jefferson?" He asked.

"Yes. Of course."

"Turns out... it... it's divorce."

"Well--"

"For Maria Reynolds."

Silence fell upon the couple.

Elizabeth tried to figure out how to respond to that. Was she happy? No. Shocked? Maybe a bit. Was she angry? Never.

Then how was she supposed to feel? This woman had ruined her life and now her son was helping her?

"That... that's good." Eliza said.

"What!?" Alex asked. "What do you mean 'that's good'? This woman ruined our lives and--"

"She was in trouble, Alexander." She said. She thought about bringing up the fact that he ruined their lives as well, but Eliza decided he was stressed enough. "That woman was in desperate need of help and Philip offered it. He didn't care if she ruined our lives or not, he wanted to help."

It was against Eliza's good nature to think negative about it. She was just too pure and adorable. And she was glad some of that cinnamon roll-ness went to her son.

Philip would never hurt a soul, she knew that very well. Okay, maybe not Jefferson's soul, but nevertheless, he had a good heart.

"I guess you make a point..."

"So that means you don't have to kick him out of the house." Elizabeth said.

There was a moment of silence before Alex spoke. "How'd you know I was planning to...?" He asked.