20

"I hate myself." John Madison sighed, burying his face into the couch cushions.

"Don't say that, brother." His younger sister replied, sitting next to him.

"I messed up! And now... Y/n hates me." He said, his voice muffled through the pillow.

"Who wouldn't? She looked like she's pain, John."

"Well, how was I supposed to know that, Eunice?" John snapped, sitting up from the couch.

Eunice looked at him in shock. Never had her brother yelled like that before to anyone.

John's expression softened and he laid back down on the couch, tears falling down his face making him fantically wipe them away. He groaned as he did.

Eunice looked at him and sighed. "I think you're over reacting." She said. "She doesn't hate you."

"She does!" John yelled.

"Y/n is your best friend! She can't hate you." Eunice said, nodding knowingly. "Sure, she's going through things now, but she loves you. She can't hate you. Just maybe really dislike you..."

John groaned. "I'm being such an as-- a butt hole." He said.

"Don't say that, big bro." Eunice said, patting her brother's head. "There's tons of girls besides Y/n anyway."

"But... none are as amazing as her."

"Oh, grow up, John. You can't get everything you want." Eunice responded, placing her hands on her hips.

"I guess."

"You could go out with Theodosia. She's really cool and bakes great pies. Or maybe even Y/n's sister, Mary--"

"OH MY GOODNESS, MARY!" John yelled, sitting up from the couch.

Eunice looked at him with confusion writen on her face. She had no idea what was going on. She arched an eye brow and tilted her head.

"... what?"

"Mary! I was... I was mad at Philip for no reason. Scratch that. I was mad for no reason." John said, running his hand through his short curls, his bright blue eyes wide with realization and worry. "Mary was the main reason I wanted to speak to Y/n in the first place! It was about Mary."

"Then why the frick did you fight Philip?" Eun asked.

"I... I was jealous, I guess." John admitted. "I just... I don't want Y/n to start liking Philip. I always thought he'd... take her away or something."

"You dolt." Eunice said. "He can never take her away. And if he does, Y/n will always love you."

John smiled at his sister. "Yeah. I guess she will." He said. "I cursed at Philip for no reason then."

"Wait, what?!"

"Yeah. It wasn't a great experience." John said. "It felt super weird. I had to force it out, I feel all dirty saying it actually. Like I rolled in mud or--"

"I'm telling mom!" Eunice yelled and ran for the library on the second floor.

"WAIT! EUNICE, NO!"

●♤●

"What did you do this time?" Angie asked as her older brother slammed his face into the couch cushions.

"I fucked up." He said, muffled by the pillow.

"Mom! Philip said a bad language word!" She yelled.

Philip sat up, his parents were home?

After a minute or two, Elizabeth rushed into the living room, a rolled newspaper in hand. She walked over and hit Philip on the head with it, and it surprisingly was painful.

"Ouch."

Definately home.

"Bad child." Eliza said and scurried back into the kitchen.

Philip rubbed his head and buried his face into the pillow again, groaning both in pain and annoyance.

"What did you do that turned you into... this...?" Angie asked, flipling through her book.

"I fought John."

A moment passes as Angelica sits in thought. Philip looked up at his younger sister, laying sideways on the couch.

"Be more specific with the name John." She replied.

Philip groaned. "John Payne Madison." He said.

Angelica's eyes widened. "Like the sneezy kid John Payne Madison?" She asked, tilting her head.

"Yes, the sneezy kid John Payne Madison." Philip replied. "We had a... disgreement."

"Oof, you didn't kill him, did you?" She asked, only slightly intrigued. What would a sick boy want with her brother?

"I was close." Philip said. "Main point is, I did and now Y/n hates me."

"Uh, hasn't she always--"

"I meant... me and John." Philip replied.

Angie closed her book and placed it on her lap. "Aren't those two like best friends or whatever?" She asked.

"Yes, but remember, the whole Mary thing and all that. It bummed Y/n out. I tried cheering her up and comforting her until his asshole came in." Philip said. Angie opened her mouth to say something but Philip quickly cut her off. "Don't tell mom I cursed and I do your chores for a week."

"Two weeks."

"Deal."

●♤●

Y/n sat alone in her room. Looking through the letters she and John wrote. As well as the few letters Philip had sent her, talking about Maria's divorce case.

She had been so caught up with John's date thing, Philip's date thing, her little date thing with Philip, Mary running away... She completely forgot about poor Maria.

Y/n had to catch up to that. She pulled out a book she borrowed from the library and began flipping through it's many pages.

As she read, two loose papers caught her attention. She pulled both out, and almost in an instant, a smile grew upon her face. It was the first time she smiled since Mary left.

One was a a drawing of Philip's death by parakeets. It was originallt pidgeons but she lost it and made this one instead. The other was a poem she had written a long time ago. She didn't even remember it was here. Hell, she didn't remember how it got here.

She traced over her writing and read it over.

Maybe it's hate,
Maybe it's love,
Maybe a strange feeling from above.

But it is strong,
Without a doubt
I wonder what it is about.

An empty soul?
A filled up heart?
A friend that's meant to depart?

A lost for love?
A hope for truth?
Or perhaps the thought of the youth?

I shall cherish this,
This strange desire.
I will feed the burning fire.

I shall hold on
To this feeling,
Hoping to satisfy my being.

●♤●

A/n: not my best poem, but it works uwu

:0 john has a sister???? Nani??? Lmao ur welcome eunice ♡ (she's that cool girl who made the cover ;D)

The Old Rivalry amino is fun. Shout out to the peeps there. Yall are good ♡

I honesty love the small cmmunity here. You guys are le best ♡♡♡