18

France was a lovely place to visit. Small petite shops and houses clustered to form a small petite town. Normal everday people doing their normal everyday things.

Well, that's the rest of France. But for Virginie de Lafayette, she was getting none of that.

She lived an extravagant life as the daughter of the Marquis de Lafayette. She got stylish clothes, delicious food, good education. It was everthing she could ask for.

Today, her older sister Keira took her out to go shopping for dresses. They passed by townspeople who bowed at them with respect.

See, their father, the Marquis de Lafayette, was well known in their town, having the title of Marquis and inheriting his parents' fortune.

"Virginie, this'll look wonderful on you!" Keira said, picking a blue dress with white lace around it.

She pushed up her glasses and handed the dress to her younger sister. Virginie held it up and examined it, the dress seems like it'd fit.

Keira walked up and paid the tailor, taking her sister out of the shop after. Virginie loved doing things like these with her sister. And Keira was probably her favorite sibling too.

Georges Washington, who was Keira's twin, was... well, he was a boy. He wouldn't understand her problems or know a thing or two about fashion.

Then there was her younger sister Natasha who loved being with their parents. Nat loved all the stories their father and mother would share.

Virgie and Nat didn't really get along well. Nat liked things like climbing on trees, running around barefoot, playing in the mud. She loved dreaming big, thinking of how she could change the world.

The exact opposite of Virginie. Virgie liked things like trying on dresses, walking around the park, not playing in the mud. She loved the life she was living, thinking of how perfect her world was.

Her world was amazing after all. Why would anyone want to change it? Everything about it was wonderful.

And that's when it hit her in the face.

Literally.

Virginie fell to the ground, her back hitting the pavement. She groaned in pain and clutched the side of her head.

Whatever hit her, hit her hard. And whoever hit her, was gonna get hit back.

Virgie's vision was blurry. Her surroundings were spinning non stop. She saw something in front of her, it was hard to distinguish what it was though.

"I-I'm so sorry, Miss!" Someone said. "I wasn't paying attention."

Virginie let out another groan, tilting her head downwards a bit. She looked up again and her vision cleared.

She finally saw what was in front of her. It was a hand, outstretched to help her up. She looked to the owner of said hand and her heart skipped a beat.

The boy was about her age, no less that fifteen. He had short brown curls that flowed like a messy chocolate waterfall, dark eyes that showed nothing but kindness and love, and a sweet, caring smile.

Virginie swallowed hard and but her lip. With a trembling hand, she took his and pulled herself up. She didn't even bother dusting off the dirt.

"Again, terribly sorry, Miss..." The man said.

"It-it's fine." Virgie replied, cursing herself for stuttering.

The man chuckled, which sounded like music to her ears. Her heart was racing faster now and her face was flushing.