Chapter 23: Pinch Me

[AN: This chapter is pure fluff. You’re welcome. And this chapter is dedicated to scissorlove143. I was having a crabby day, and she messaged me just to tell me that she liked my story. Totally made my day!]

[AMMIE’S POV]

This is so awesome! I am standing here on the side of the stage watching One Direction perform! And before that I was having a casual lunch with Niall Horan! This is so AWESOME!!! I turned around to look at the other girls noting a lot of confused and sad faces. Okay, so maybe this isn’t incredibly awesome. All of my friends are sad or worried or angry or just plain lost. I looked over at the newest addition to our group. Kate. She was going to have quite the bruise in the morning from my coke can. I really need to watch out when I am swinging my shopping bags around.

“Ammie! This is your favorite part!” Carrie hissed at me, and I smiled. At least she was happy. She kept trading little waves with Harry while he was onstage. It was cute if not a little nauseating. Onstage the boys were answering twitter questions from the fans. Aside from the actual singing I loved this part. I think it gives them a chance to show off their personalities.

“So the first question comes from @styler_forever,” Liam said with a smile. “She says ‘Liam your girlfriend Sam is so cool. Have any of the other boys found a girl?’” He looked at the other lads. “Thank you. She is cool. Well? What do you say lads? Any girls in your lives?” I smirked as they all hemmed and hawed over the question.

“Well there is a particular lady in my life,” Harry said which caused the audience to scream. “We haven’t agreed on whether or not to make it public, but since you asked. I am dating a lovely girl named Carrie.” I could feel Carrie beaming next to me without even looking at her. “In fact she’s watching from the side of the stage tonight. Love you Care Bear!” He blew a kiss to the side of the stage earning another round of screams from the fans.

“What about you Zayn?” Liam asked clearly enjoying this question.

“Uh—um--,” Zayn stuttered as he rubbed his neck nervously. Was that a hickey? “I’m just busy focusing on my music right now.” He walked a little towards the side of the stage, and I was able to get a closer look at him. That was definitely a hickey. Focus on your music my ass.

“Lou?” Harry asked. “Any bird catch your eye?” He smirked as Louis turned his gaze immediately latching onto Nora’s face. He seemed to be studying her intensely as she gazed back. “Louis?”

“What?” Louis asked snapping back to the present.

“Any girls?” Liam asked.

“Um—no,” Louis said. “No girl.” I watched Nora. Her face fell slightly, but she fixed her smile back in place. For being the oldest she seemed to be acting pretty stupid right now. All she had to do was run to Louis and tell him she loved him. Everything would be fixed then. [AN: Ammie is the voice of reason here. Yay!]

“I have my eye on a girl,” Niall’s accent ran cheerfully through his microphone as he interrupted the awkward moment. “She’s real cute. Plus she thinks I’m awesome.” He grinned wildly. Who on Earth was he talking about? Nora had turned him down. Plus I spent all day with him so unless he met some girl when I ran off with Carrie to pick up snacks--.

“Ammie!” Carrie hissed with a big grin on her face. “He is totally talking about you.”

“No he’s not. We’re just friends,” I shot back. Friends that almost kissed. I looked up to see Niall watching me curiously for a minute or two. He kept his gaze on me as he spoke again.

“She’s helping me get over a little bit of a heartbreak,” Niall said. The fans all “awed” in unison when he said that. They were probably questioning how someone could ever break Niall’s precious little heart. Okay, I’m getting a little sappy and sentimental now. “I think once my heart heals I might ask her on a date.”

“Holy shit,” I said as a grin spread across my face. “He’s talking about me. I think.”

“So let’s go to the tweet Louis picked,” Liam said moving the moment along. Niall winked and then turned back to the screen as if nothing had happened.

“I’m glad he found you,” a familiar female voice whispered into my ear. I turned to see Nora smiling at me. “You two would be adorable together.” All the girls congratulated me. Even Kate who had no clue that Niall was most likely referencing me when he had spoken onstage. Sam had whispered the information to her.

“He wasn’t talking about me!” I protested wandering further backstage. There is no way he could be talking about me. I mean sure we had spent some time together, but we only met today. Besides, I was nothing special. No international popstar would ever want me. I slumped onto a crate sitting backstage.

“Ammie?” I heard a familiar Irish accent ask. I looked up to see Niall looking at me with concern. “Are you okay?”

“Niall?” I asked standing up in shock. I could hear the other lads joking with the crowd onstage. “What are you doing back here? You are supposed to be backstage.”

“The lads are covering for me. I just wanted to apologize.” Here it comes. He was just being nice. He’s not really interested in me. “I shouldn’t have told everyone how I felt about you before I talked to you. It’s kind of hard being a girlfriend of One Direction. Or even a crush. Some of the fans can be a bit aggressive.”

“What?” I screeched loudly. He stumbled back a step startled by my outburst.

“Ammie what’s wrong?”

“You mean you were talking about me?” He nodded. “So you do think you might have feelings for me?” He nodded again. “Pinch me.”

“What?” he asked stepping closer.

“I must be dreaming. Pinch me so I can wake up. I’m probably drooling on my pillow right now. Ow!”

“You said to pinch you.”

“I didn’t think you would actually do it. That hurt. I think you scratched me with your nail.” He grabbed my arm pulling me up against his chest. “Um. What are you doing?”

“Ammie just stop talking for a minute okay? I want to see something.” I nodded mutely as he leaned closer. He blew a soft breath on my lips before gently resting his lips onto mine. I gasped as he softly kissed me before pulling away. Oh dear Lord if this is a dream please don’t ever let me wake up. “That was nice.”

“Nice?” He smiled, and I wondered what I was supposed to take away from this. So that kiss was just nice? Is there no chemistry between us? Is he going to have the “let’s just be friends” talk with me? Wait. We are just friends. So then what is this? Did he realize he was kissing me?

“Stop thinking so much,” Niall said laughing. “I have to get back to the stage, but promise me we’ll talk later?” I nodded mutely still unsure where this was going. “I really think I might like you Ammie.” He smiled kissing my forehead before walking off. I could have stood there for minutes or hours. I’m not quite sure why, but I was frozen in place.

“Ammie?” Carrie asked appearing beside me. “What did Niall say? Did he ask you out? What?”

“Pinch me,” I said holding out my arm. Carrie looked at me funny before rolling her eyes. “Pinch me Carrie.” She grabbed the skin on my arms and twisted it. “OW! What the heck?!? That really hurt!”

“You asked me to,” she shot back. Okay, point taken. “Why did you ask me to pinch you anway?”

“I just had to check something,” I said with a grin. Nope. Definitely not a dream.

[AN: Fluffy goodness right there. I have been looking forward to writing this chapter for ages. Something about Ammie and Niall is just so freaking ADORABLE!!!]