53. This Thing Is Breaking Down

November 12th 2017

Karlie's POV

We finished dinner and it was awkward. I tried to avoid Toni's gaze, knowing the second I made eye contact that she would try to talk to me. I occupied myself with talking to Joan and Gigi, but I could feel her eyes burning into the side of my head as I clearly tried to ignore her.

"Who wants a drink?" Gigi gets up and looks around the table and basically everyone agrees, apart from me. "Kar, come on. You're the reason we're all here, forget about everything else and have some fun!" I sigh as I glare at Gigi and agree and she walks off triumphantly. "So, Karlie. Are you seeing anyone?" I look over to Toni who's wearing a smug smile and sipping on her drink. "Yes, actually I am." I glare at her and cross my arms and Joan intervenes, "how are Taylor and the kids, Karlie?" I sigh and get up, "I'm going to the bathroom." I leave the other women confused and walk away, trying to put as much space between Toni and I in this moment as I can.

I lean against a sink, closing my eyes and sighing heavily as I try to calm myself. This wasn't a good idea. "What do you want, Toni?" I hear the door open and close behind me as the sharp clicking of heels against the floor comes to a stop meters away from me. "Trouble in paradise?" She smirks, raising an eyebrow at me as I cross my arms and turn to her. "Is that any of your business?" I scowl and she smiles, "so you're a mom now, huh?" She changes the subject and I sigh, simply nodding in response. "And Taylor? As in Swift?" I roll my eyes, "yep. That would be the one."

She raises her eyebrow again. "So, what're you doing here instead of being at home with your family?" I look away from her knowing gaze, she always had this hold over me that I could never quite shake. "If you must know, Taylor and I aren't talking right now. We haven't spoken in a week." I turn away again and wash my hands in the sink, trying to do anything to distract myself from her presence. "What happened?" She hands me a paper towel and I dry my hands, "our son, he died about a month ago. He was only five weeks old. Things have been rough since and we argued and she kicked me out." I sigh, throwing the paper towel in the bin as I open my clutch. I rummage around for my lipstick, looking to reapply it before leaving.

I feel a hand on my arm and look up, meeting the soft blue eyes that I used to adore so much, comparing them to a clear blue sky on more than one occasion. Taylor's are more harsh and capturing; like the waves of a stormy sea mixed with a icy winter sky. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Karlie." She gives me a soft smile and I get lost in the familiar warmth of her voice and gaze of her eyes.

I blink and look away, internally yelling at myself; you love Taylor, that's in the past, you're in love with Taylor. I don't know why I find the need to remind myself, Toni and I love Taylor. Although, I can't stop my mind from going to that place of does Taylor still love me?

"I gotta go." I mumble a response as I grab my clutch and leave her standing there. Tonight was a very bad idea.

•••
Taylor's POV

"Is this really a good idea?" I mumble to Cara as she lies sprawled out on the couch with a sleeping Maisie on top of her. "Do you love her?" Cara looks over and I nod, "more than anything." She doesn't say anything after that and I realise that I just answered my own question. This has to be a good idea.

Tilly's asleep in my arms as I sit with my back to the window. My driver and my pilot were shocked about my decision, especially with how late it was when I called. We took off about half an hour ago and in about seven and a half hours we're going to arrive in New York, hopefully undetected. It's late, already around eleven in London which means we're going to get to New York at around 2am their time. Hopefully that means that there won't be any people around and we can get to my apartment without any hassle.