7. They Are In Love

December 25th 2016

Taylor's POV

"Good morning, sunshine." I open my eyes to find Maisie already awake between Karlie and I in the bed. Every time we lay her in the bassinet she would wake up and scream, so we made a little safe space between us so we could at least get a little sleep.

I lean on my elbow, my head resting in my hand as I look at my baby. "It's your first Christmas, Mais!" I smile as she grips my finger, holding it tight as she stares up at me with her big eyes. "You look so cute, my little reindeer." I laugh, scrunching up my nose. "Your Nana is gonna love the pictures we took of you, you're just too cute." Her eyes explore the ceiling above us and I get up, picking her up and moving towards the window.

I look outside, the soft snow is settled on the sidewalk of the early morning landscape. It's still dark out because it's so early -almost 7am- and I'm pretty sure everyone else in the house is asleep.

"You're missing a lot, Maisie, I had already screwed up before you were born." I sigh, stroking her little hand as it wraps around my finger. "But you're lucky too, you've got a big unconventional family and we'll all protect and love you forever, because sweetheart, you're my main priority- I have to do what's right for you." I sigh, glancing over my shoulder to see Karlie still asleep.

"Our family is a little crazy, but they'd do anything to put a smile on your face, to make sure you were never alone- even when you insist that you'll be okay." I smile softly, Maisie stares up at me- her blue eyes mirroring my own. "And you'll love them but you'll never understand why or how because you never expected to love them the way you do. But, even then you won't tell them because you have to do the right thing, even if that means sacrificing yourself to protect the people you love."

Her little eyes flutter as she tries to fight sleep, this baby sleeps for the biggest part of the day but it's still early and I'm not complaining about getting another couple of hours sleep.

I hum the tune to Never Grow Up as I watch her eyes flutter closed and the sucking on the pacifier slows down. That song has taken on a whole new meaning since Maisie arrived. If she stays little forever then I can protect her from all of the bad, but even when she's older and ready to move out, I'll still love her the same way I did the day they placed her in my arms in the delivery room.

I go back to the bed, laying Maisie down in between the pillow barriers put in place to stop her falling out of the bed. I lie down myself and sigh as my head hits the pillow, I stare at my sleeping baby- still completely in awe over the fact that she's mine.

My eyes soon drift up to Karlie's sleeping face. Her expression is soft and peaceful and I can't help but smile, she inhales deeply and her eyes open to reveal the emerald green orbs underneath. Our eyes meet for a couple of seconds in the dark room, "you don't always have to sacrifice yourself you know, the right thing isn't always blocking out the chance of getting hurt again, not everybody is like him, Tay. There's someone out there willing to love all of you the way you deserve, I know it. It's okay to be scared, you have time because they'll wait- they've already waited this long."

She reaches for my hand around the baby, grabbing it, our fingers intertwine. "You promise?" My words are timid and whispered into the silence between us. "I promise." Karlie's are confident and reassuring.

She closes her eyes again and instead of saying the words I really want to say, I instead whisper the words "you're my best friend." And hope for all that I'm worth that she knows what I really mean.