3. Mine

December 9th 2016

Taylor's POV

I wake up to the shrill cries of my newborn. She fell asleep so when I lay her down I decided to lie down myself which is becoming a more common occurrence these days. When I open my eyes, her bassinet is empty but the cries continue. I'm confused to say the least and as I look around the room, she's nowhere in sight and that's when panic sets in.

Maisie stops crying and I get off of the bed, walking along the hallway and peeking in the nursery but she's not there. I knock on Karlie's door next, opening it and walking in to see her pacing the room with Maisie in her arms. "Oh thank god." I breathe a sigh of relief, it's irrational I know but I can't help panicking.

"Sorry, she was crying earlier and you looked like you could use the sleep so I brought her in here." Karlie smiles down at the baby as I sit on her bed. "I thought you were working today, aren't you meant to be flying out to Paris?" I glance at the clock, "you were meant to be on that flight like an hour ago." I scold her for her time management skills, but really I know she just doesn't want to leave us. This is her first modelling job since Maisie was born and she's already considered cancelling.

"It's fine- I got them to push my flight until tonight." She makes up an excuse and I roll my eyes. "I don't need a babysitter Karlie, I can survive alone with a newborn for a couple of days." I fold my arms and she looks over to me. "I can't help worrying, Taylor." She smiles softly and honestly, I'm not really annoyed, I just don't want her blowing off work for us.

It's been almost a week since Maisie was born and the help I had from my family in the first few days was amazing, then they went home and it got a little harder with just me and Karlie, but we've survived. We both knew she had this job to go on today, so after I insisted that we would be fine alone she eventually relented and agreed.

"I think she wants mommy." Karlie looks at me as Maisie gurgles and stretches in her arms. "Oh no, mommy has to shower and since auntie Karlie thought avoiding work was an option, she can watch the baby." I kiss Maisie's head as I walk past them and Karlie laughs softly.

"What time is her appointment?" The woman asks as I walk out of the room and I mentally groan, I completely forgot. "Three, can you dress her? I completely forgot, now I have to get ready." I sigh and she nods, "now you're not so mad that I stayed." She comments as she follows me out of the room. I just roll my eyes, "put her in layers- it's cold outside."

•••

"Are you sure about this Taylor?" Karlie furrows her eyebrows as she looks at me. "Yes, it's not far and I could really use the fresh air." I insist as I strap Maisie into her carseat. Karlie dressed her in a plain white onesie and a yellow sleep suit, with a white cardigan and yellow bobble hat to keep her warm in the winter air. I tuck a blanket around her for extra measure and look at Karlie, "so, are you coming?" I ask her and she rolls her eyes but pulls on her coat anyway.

"Have you got everything?" She asks and I look around, "diaper bag." I mumble under my breath, realising that I don't have it. I go back to the living room to retrieve the black and white bag and double check that everything is inside before going back to Karlie.

I wanted to walk to the clinic since we've barely been able to leave the house in over a week because of my recovery and trying to settle Maisie, but it's not far and we could use the fresh air. Karlie wasn't exactly happy with this idea but I told her that I was going with or without her, so obviously she opted for the first option.