19. Taken

Jerome's P.O.V

"Hello Gotham City!" I smirk, lifting the camera up to my face. "We're the Maniax! And I'm Jerome the... shot-caller of our little gang. We're here to spread the message of wisdom and hope!"

 We're here to spread the message of wisdom and hope!"

I'm cut off by the groaning of an officer.

I roll my eyes, calmly shooting him in the chest, "Some people have no manners."

"You're all prisoners. What you call sanity, it's just a prison in your minds that stops you from seeing that you're just tiny little cogs in a giant absurd machine. WAKE UP!" I scream at the camera, soon after trying to regain my somewhat 'calm' tone.

"Why be a cog? Be free. Like us," I grab the officer I shot, lifting up a corner of his lips. "Just remember, smile," I laugh hysterically, but once again, I'm interrupted. This time, it's the sound of sirens.

"Oh, time to go. But don't worry, we'll be back very soon. Hang onto your hats folks, cause you ain't seen nothing yet!"

I turn the camera off.

Then, I grab Sam, throwing her over my shoulder and running off.

----

Jim Gordon's P.O.V

"Lee!" I shout, noticing her peering down at a cop who is lying on the floor. They have a bullet hole in their chest.

"Jim!" She turns around, running towards me, obviously surprised by the blood running down my face.

"You hurt?" I do a quick visual check for any wounds.

"No, I was in my office and I heard gunfire, and I hid."

I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Where were you?" She asks, her voice faltering.

"Barbara was here, she lured me away."

I hear a small and delicate yelp.

"Essen!" I shout running towards the sound.

It's Sarah. She has tears in her eyes, and a huge amount of blood pouring out of her stomach. She was shot. Lee presses a finger to her neck, checking for a pulse. By the look on her face when she turns to me, I can tell that it's faint.

"Hang on Cap, hang on. Boss? Boss. Stay with me. Breathe," I hold onto her hand, squeezing it gently.

"They took her," she wheezes.