Chapter 8

Rakim Mayers

I woke up in a hospital bed confused. I looked around and saw Symone sleeping uncomfortably in a chair which I slick felt bad about. Then I remembered that I got shot last night and let's not forget that I caught another body. I'm not on no cocky shit but damn, a nigga really don't never die. Let me not jinx it.

I checked my arm and I saw big bandages on it so I'm sure they stitched me up. I hate hospital beds because they're small as shit but I shouldn't complain, they saved my life before I bled out. I looked over at the monitors and everything looked normal so I got up to use the restroom. When I came back out a white nurse came in to check on me.

"Good morning Mr. Mayers. How are you feeling?"

"I'm good, thanks."

"Alright so the surgery went smoothly and you should be able to leave in a few hours," she said, smiling.

I returned the gesture with a grin. "What can y'all do for her?" I asked, pointing to Symone. "She got punched in the face." The nurse looked over and grimaced.

"Well if she's feeling pain we can offer an ice bag and/or pain reliever."

"Ight can you bring both?"

"Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?"

"Huh?"

"Should I bring Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?"

I noticed Symone in my peripheral vision and she was stretching. "Aye Symone you use Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen?"

"It's okay, I have meds at home."

"You use Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen at home?" I asked her.

"I use Ibuprofen but it's fine, like I said I'll just take them at home," she argued, emphasizing the fact that she had it at home.

"Okay, get her Ibuprofen," I said to the nurse. "Thank you sweetheart." She smiled and walked out.

"Damn Rakim, you didn't have to do that."

"What you mean? And you don't gotta call me Rakim, you can call me Rocky or Flacko. I prefer Flacko in case you were wondering." I smirked.

"I mean, you didn't have to tell her I needed medicine. A waste of money my nigga. But I'm still gonna call you Rakim since that's not what you prefer." She showed off a faint dimple.

"You're so funny. It's on me though, my money, my choice ma," I stated.

"Okay Bill Gates."

I burst into a fit of laughter and she laughed along with me.

"Yo dead ass, you creative. Nobody ever called me that before but I'm sure it's a compliment," I assumed.

"Bye! Take it how you want it," she responded.

"Yup, as a compliment."

Before she could say anything else, the nurse came in with an ice pack and a bottle with Ibuprofen in it.

"Here you are," she said, handing the ice and medicine to Symone.

"Thank you," Symone replied.

"No problem," she said to Symone. She then turned to me. "I spoke to Doctor Miller and he says he will be here shortly to check on you before you're released."

"Okay, thanks." She left closing the door behind her and that was when Symone spoke up.

"Can you explain what happened last night? I'm confused as hell," she stated with a hint of a stank face.