Chapter 3

Symone Anderson

Today I worked from 10am to 5pm and went straight home afterwards. I live with my best friend, Lyric Jones in a 2 bedroom apartment but she wasn't home when I got there. I looked at the time and saw 5:21 along with a notification from Rakim.

646-221-5673

Hey it's Rakim

Me

Hey

646-221-5673

I'll pick you up for this lil date kindly send your address

Me

Lol 473 Longwood St Apt 309

646-221-5673

Okay see you in 30😉

I took a shower cleansing myself with the body scrub I recently bought. 15 minutes later I was out rushing to my room to find a simple black fitted dress and flats. I set the outfit out and did light makeup which consisted of eyebrows and dark lipstick. Soon after I was standing in my bathroom mirror looking over my outfit and hair satisfied when the doorbell rang. I looked through the peephole and saw Rakim. I'm not sure why he looked nervous, but I opened the door. He smiled and said, "Hey Symone. You look really good."

I smiled saying, "Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

He chuckled. "You ready?"

"Yeah, come in while I get my purse." I went and got my black and gold purse hanging on my headboard then put my phone, wallet, and other essentials in it. When I got back into the living room he was on the phone talking with an angry voice on the verge of yelling.

"Yo, imma stop by later... Alright see you in a few." He hung up the phone looking bothered so I walked over and tried to comfort him by asking, "Are you okay? You look traumatized." I'm not good with comforting people by the way--every time I do, I feel like I make the situation worse because I can't sugar coat anything.

"I'm not okay," he answered truthfully, which I was thankful for.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really, but I'll tell you because for some odd reason you seem trustworthy." I was surprised by this comment.

"Okay... Go ahead."

"One of my brothers got shot and they say he's not doing too good. I know he's strong but it hurts to hear shit like this, you know? I be thinking that we're good but every time we good something goes wrong." When he spoke I swear I saw his eyes water up.

"I'm sorry to hear that. He will stay in my prayers and since you say he's strong he will live in Jesus name."

"Amen. Thank you, Symone. I'm sorry for making the mood all gloomy and what not." He gave me a hug and we both got up from the couch.

"Oh, you're good. Shit happens."

I lead him out of my apartment and locked the door. I examined his beautiful car which was an Audi A4 on the way to the passenger seat and he opened the door for me which I thought was really sweet of him mainly because my ex was a good-for-nothing asshole who never did respectful things like this. I thanked him and he got in and started the engine.

"What kind of music you like?" He asked, scrolling on his phone at a traffic light.

"All types but recently I've been listening to a lot of old shit, like Michael Jackson old."

"Ight that's wassup. What's your favorite song by him?"

"I would say P.Y.T. It's legendary."

"Agreed," he said, pulling off and playing the song. We both sang along and 4 songs later we were pulling up to Maggiano's and I was excited to say the least. I fucking love Italian food and for us to be here now is like a dream-come-true. Rakim exited the car and opened the door for me again, kissing my hand. I always thought the hand-kissing shit was cliché but it was cute when he did it. When we walked up to the front desk Rakim told the lady he had a reservation under his name and she lead us to a booth with leather seats. When we were seated she told us a waiter would be with us shortly.