Chapter 5

Symone Anderson

My alarm went off at exactly 10 and I reluctantly got up from the surprisingly comfortable couch. Lyric's lucky ass was still asleep because she woke up at 12 for her 1-7pm shift. I took a quick shower and put on my all blue scrubs with my black work shoes. I decided to wear no makeup today and just went with my clear lipgloss. I also decided to wear a simple slicked-back ponytail.

I slid into my Toyota Corolla and checked the time: 10:32 AM. Just enough time to stop by Krispy Kreme. Very soon I was walking to the front desk of the visiting room with my donuts and coffee in hand at 10:58 AM. I clocked in and sat down with a donut in my hand. I bought 6 just in case Nicole wanted some. Just as I expected, she walked up to me. "Hey girl," she whispered, sitting next to me. I guessed it was her break. "Hey. You want a donut?" I offered. She obviously said yes. I mean, who would say no to a Krispy Kreme donut? We talked for a little while and soon her break was over, so she went back to checking on patients.

Nicole-

I liked this job more than Waffle House because it was so chill

I liked this job more than Waffle House because it was so chill. All I did was answer calls, tell visitors where the people they wanted to see were, eat, and scroll through social media. A few hours passed and my break came. I got my leftovers from Maggiano's from the staff refrigerator and warmed it up for 1 minute and 30 seconds. As I was eating I got a message from an unsaved number saying, "I miss you baby I changed." Without having to ask I knew it was Justin's crazy ass. I blocked him but he always found ways to text me again. I broke up with him because he repeatedly cheated and that's something I'm not going for. I'm way too pretty to be wondering if my boyfriend was being loyal. I was nice enough to reply saying, "Justin. Wtf." I immediately got a text. He said, "How'd you know it was me?" I simply told him he was the only guy I knew who kept trying after I told him to leave me alone. I felt another buzz from my phone and because I knew it was him I didn't even bother checking it.

I finished my food and after my last bite I saw 3 o'clock on my phone which told me my break was over. I got up to throw my food away and as I sat down, the door to the office opened which meant someone was here to visit a family member or friend. The person walked up and to my surprise it was Rakim. For some odd reason I get nervous when he walks toward me and that beautiful smile is no help, especially when he has the bottom grill on. He was dressed in a white Supreme shirt, black jeans, and black and white checkered Vans.

"Look who it is!" He said walking over to my desk.

I didn't even notice I was smiling but I said, "Aw. Hey Rakim." I got up and he gave me a quick hug. I sat back down in my chair with wheels and asked, "Alright, who are you here to see today?"

"Tariq Devega, my brother that I told you got shot." I searched him up in the system and it said he was in moved from room 521 to 214.

"He's in room 214. Tell me how he's doing before you leave."