Chapter Twenty-Two

Začať od začiatku

"Can I please talk to the nurse myself?" Christi asked us.

"Want me to stay?" Luke asked her.

"No sorry. Just want to ask something." she said. Luke looked confused. He bent down and kissed Christi on the cheek, then followed Jai and I out of the room.

- - - - - - - - CHRISTI'S POV - - - - - - - - - -

Once I had made sure everyone had left the room, I turned to the nurse.

"So how many months am I?"

"Almost exactly two." the nurse replied

"Definitely?" I wanted to be 100%

"Yes. For sure." she confirmed. "You know I get a lot of girls like you come in."

"What do you mean?"

"Mr Brooks isn't the father. Is he?"

"Well, no" I had to admit it

"Are you planning on telling him?" she said wiping the cream off my tummy.

"Of course!" I lied.

"You make sure you do." she said sounding a bit grumpy. "That all you wanted to know?"

"Yep." I said hopping off the bed. "thankyou!" I said walking out of the door as quickly as I could. There was Luke. I felt bad lying to him, but I could tell if I just kept going- this was going to save our relationship. "Everything ok?" he asked.

"Perfect" I smiled at him. Luke smiled and hugged me.

"Ruby and Jai are in the car. Lets go" he put his arm around my shoulders. I wasnt his mate- I was his girlfriend, Luke would never put his arm around MY waist. Only ever Ruby's.

- - - - - - - - RUBY'S POV - - - - - -- - - -

I walked into Luke's room. He was sitting on his bed while on the laptop. It had been two days since Christi's scan and he was fine. He had a picture of the baby in the scan blutacked next to his bed. Cute- but it kinda hurt. I climbed up on the bed and watched a bit of spongebob with him. I turned to look at the baby picture when I saw it. The tiniest print on the bottom left hand corner, I had o squint to read it- '2 months' it read. But wasn't Christi 3 almost 4 moths pregnant? This couldn't be right. I climbed off Luke's bed. "Where are you going?" he asked. He obviously had no idea about what was written on it. "Uhm I have to ask Jai something." I said walking out of the room. Once I knew Luke couldn't see me, I ran to Jai in the other room. " Jai! We have to get Luke to take a DNA test! I dont think Christ's baby is his?!" I whispered. Jai looke at me, shocked.

"How do you know?"

"Because on the scan it says it shows the baby at two months and remember the other day when I said Christi looks small for almost 4 months! The nurse said the baby was a good size so that obviously means she is no way near 4 months pregnant!" I spilt out.

"How will we get him to do it?" Jai asked.

"I think we should just explain it to him."

"But how will we get Christi to take it?" Jai questioned.

"They already have her DNA at the hospital from the tests she took." I explained. Jai thought for a minute. "Maybe my mum can talk him into taking a DNA test?" he suggested.

"I just dont want to cause any problems." I hesitated.

"Nah babe. I think you could be solving one."

 Luke sat in the loungeroom watching the tennis. I somehow had to persuade him into taking that test. "so Luke, have you and Christi decided who the baby will live with?" I tried to start off.

"Well Christi said something about me moving in with her." he said. I just about choked to death.

"Luke that is a HUGE commitment. Are you ready to do that?"

"Nope" he said confidently in his i.dont.give.a.fuck voice.

"Are you positive the baby is yours?" I accidentily snapped out. Oh shit. Luke looked at me puzzled. "What would make you think it wasn't?"

"I just think you should be sure before you jump into any huge arranements."

"You're just being overprotective now." Luke stated

"Im just trying to help you."

"I dont need your help Ruby."

"Thanks Luke, I'll remember that for next time" I said walking into Luke's room. I grabbed the picture off the wall and stormed back into the loungeroom shoving the picture in front of Luke. I pointed at the fine print at the bottom. "Read it Luke. Then maybe you will understand why I am wanting to help you." I said. He looked at me for a second, then back at the picture- trying to read the fine print. "Night." I shouted as I walked away, closing my bedroom door behind me.

I woke up with someone lightly shaking my arm. I looked at he clock that read 2am then at the person who had just disturbed me. It was Luke. "Rubes, I need you to take me to the hospital. I want the DNA test." he whispered. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Sorry to wake you." he said pushing my hair back.

"Its ok. I'll take you but you'll have to make me a coffee." I said. Luke went into the kitchen to make me a coffee while I got dressed and quickly washed my face. I went into the kitchen a few minutes later to get my keys, hot drink and of course Luke. "Lets go." I whispered. Luke handed me the drink. He had even put it in a travel cup- god he was cute. I smiled and grabbed my keys. Luke and I walked out the front door, quietly shutting it behind us. It was freezing outside. I shiverred as I locked the house. Luke came next to me and put his arm around me as we walked to the car, trying to keep me warm. It was only a short drive to the hospital. We went straight to the maternity ward and explained our situaion. Soon enough, they agreed to take Luke's DNA in the ward. Luke sat in the chair, holding my hand. He opened his mouth and the doctor took a swab of saliva. "Results wont be long mate." the doctor told Luke as he gave the DNA to another doctor who took it away to be examined. We decided to stay in the waiting room- at least it was warmer that the doctor's room. Luke wouldn't let go of my hand, he was staring into space- his thoughts a million miles away. I felt so sorry for him. The poor boy had been through a lot lately and he wasnt handling anything to do with Christi very well. Half an hour passed, the three-quarters of an hour. I rested my head on Lukes shoulder and he tilted his head to rest on mine. It was an hour later when the doctor finally came into the waiting room. "Mr Luke Brooks?" he said. Luke's head shot up as he payed attention to the doctor. "We are really sorry to inform you this, but the test results have come back negative- they do not match the DNA of Christi Reddings unborn child." he said sympathetically. Luke looked confused.

"So this means that..." he said wanting the doctor to explain more simply. The doctor was trying to find a way to explain without sounding blunt. In the end there was no option.

"It means that you are not the father to Christi Redding's baby."