Chapter Nine

I had been in Perth for almost two days now and was leaving tomorrow. Right now I was heading to the most dreaded moment of my trip- my brunch with Ryan. We were going to a place that out of our whole group of friends- only we knew about. We used to go there all of the time as a couple, it was a nice quiet, green and cute place to hang out. I remember all those times when I could just lean over the table and kiss Ryan on his perfect lips, and.. STOP IT RUBY! My mind was off in a tangent. I tooks a deep breath as I parked the car and walked into the cafe. I was wearing a t-shirt, denim shorts and ankle boots. Appropriate for the setting and occasion I thought. I walked out to the back of the cafe and sure enough, there was Ryan looking as flawless as ever. He got up from where he was sitting and came to hug me. I smiled and hugged him back although he also managed to sneak in a quick peck on the cheek. He sat down and I followed a few seconds later.
"It's so great seeing you." Ryan smiled flashing his pure white teeth. I had forgotten how lovel he was. I was over the break-up but a part of me still wondered where I would be if we didn't break up. Luke was the first thing on my mind- there would be no Luke.
"Hellooooo are you still alive?"Ryan said.
"Oh god im sorry, my mind is so far away this morning!" I admitted.
"Don't worry so is mine. I think we are both nervous." he said with confidence. "So hows Melbourne?" He asked.
"Great! Its so good, I love my job and its so nice over there." I gushed.
"Meet any nice people?" He questioned me. Luke. Shut up brain.
"Yes. I have. Im staying with a family with kids around my age aswell so I meet heaps of peole through them."
"No boyfriends?" he asked nervously. Luke? NO, BRAIN, NO.
"Uh no" I said laughing and looking down. The waiter came to serve our table. "Just coke thanks." Ryan said.
"Water for me please." I was scared enough as it was talking to Ryan let alone drinking bubbles. I'd probably choke on them. Ryan and I kept talking. After a while it was just like old times. Except minus the flirting and kissing. His stories made me laugh so hard I though I was going to collapse from my chair. Ryan got up and did impressions of his horrid soccer coach in the UK, in front of the whole cafe. I sat there just laughing and laughing. After he sat down he let out a little giggle and put his hand over mine. I stopped giggling and looked at him.
"Your laugh is so damn cute." He said. I laughed even more at that comment which probably didn't help the situation I was in. My ex- boyfriend was caressing my hand in public.
"Ruby I miss you." he finally said without hesitation.
"I miss you too silly! But I can't come to Perth every weekend." I told him.
"I mean, I miss us." said Ryan. I didn't need the bubbles to assist me in choking. I was doing a pretty good job at it myself.
"Oh." I answered once I could breathe. The number of nights I had been dreaming of this to happen and it is finally coming true. I couldnt bring myself to say that I missed us too. I did but all I wanted from Ryan was a friendship. Nothing more, nothing less.
"Ryan. It's too complicated right now. I can't. I'm so sorry." I said. And I was. I felt like I had just ripped out his heart.
"It's okay. I knew we couldn't work it out right now. But at least you know how I feel, you can think about it maybe?" he basically pleaded.
"Of course." I said looking into his mesmerising eyes. We stayed there for ages. It was nice seeing Ryan. He would always be one of my friends, no matter what. That night all I could think about was what he said and what I was thinking at that very moment. Luke. I had to call him. I took out my phone and dialled his number. It rang a few times.
"hello?" Luke answered tiredly.
"Hey it's just me." I whispered. I knew Luke would be at home watching telly until late- Jai, Gina and Beau were in Sydney for a week or so, he was home alone.
"Hi just me." he said sounding more awake. "You okay?"
"Yes, I just rang to say that I miss you."
"I'll be waiting to see you at the airport in 17 hours babe." aw he was counting down!
"hehhe. Can't wait to see you loner boy."
"Yeh its quiet in the house without you guys."
"Aw, dont worry I'll be back tomorrow." I told Luke.
"I cant wait." he said "Love you."
"You too. Bye" I said
"Bye Ruby Dooby Doo" Luke said before hanging up. I needed that chat so bad - I missed his husky voice.

 -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - -- -  - - -

I had just landed in Melbourne. My eyes must have looked terrible. I had been crying - I missed my family so much already. I got out of the plane and into the waiting area. I looked around for a bit when I saw his face. His smile was brighter than he sun. Luke walked up to me shyly with his hands tucked in his pockets. When he reached me he pulled me into the hug that I had been missing for days, then without hesitation he held my face in his hands and planted a passionate kiss on my lips - in front of everyone!? He was so gorgeous. I couldn't help it I was falling madly in love with him. And by the way he has been kissing me- I'm pretty sure he likes me too.
"You look stunning" he finally spoke. I looked down at myself. I was in a sweatshirt, trackies and my hair in a messy bun. Before I could disagree, he took my suitcase, slung his arm around my shoulders and we walked out to the car. As we got outside he grabbed my hand, trying to protect me from the hundreds of people there. We made it to the car without getting trampled. Luke put my suitcase in the boot then turned to face me giving me a huge sqeeze that lifted me off the ground. He put me down and we got in the car, Luke starting to drive.
"So..." he spoke. "Tell me about your date..." he turned to me and shot his infamous cheeky smile. My heart practically melted inside my chest.