Chapter Thirty-Nine

Okay so there might be tears because there were when I was writing! Weird, I know. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it! You are honestly the most amazing readers anyone could ever ask for, I love writing for you all :)
Love you <3 xx

80 votes for chapter 40! x

---------------------------------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - LUKE'S POV  - - - - - - - - - - - -

I arrived at Ruby's house a few minutes after leaving home. I had sped all the way here but I honestly couldn't care less right now if I was picked up for speeding. I got out of the car and ran to the door. Being unlocked, I opened it and walked in. "Ruby?" I shouted as I walked briskly down the hall to the main living area. As I got into the living room, I saw her on the floor leaning against the couch hugging her knees. It was easy to see she had been crying. I ran over to her and knelt on the floor next to her. "Are you okay?!" I said worriedly.
"I am terrified." she said croakily, staring into the distance.
"Let me take you to the hospital." I said.
"No! I'm sure I will feel him move soon. I just need you with me." she answered.
"I think you should go to the hospital Rubes."
"No." she repeated stubbornly. I sat next to her as closely as I could without her moving. I put my arm around her shoulder and kissed the side of her back and then her shoulder. Ruby's eyes kept glazed over. We sat there for almost ten minutes in silence waiting and waiting, the occasional tear escaping from Ruby's eyes. Suddenly I felt Ruby tense up next to me and crouch over her knees, hugging them tighter and placing her head on them. She looked in serious pain. Ruby gasped for air and clutched tighter onto her body. I was shit-scared. "Ruby! What's wrong?!" I said worrying.
"Cramps and back pain." she managed to get out slowly. She burst into tears of pain. I felt sick seeing her like this. "Come on, sit up babe, I'll try make it better." I said picking her up under her arms and placing her on the couch. She instantly curled back into a ball of pain. I'd had enough, I couldn't watch anymore. "I'm taking you to he hospital." I stated.
"Just get me panadol and I'll be fine." Ruby groaned.
"No you won't." I insisted. I picked her up and carried her to my car. Her cramps had worn off a bit and she could move easier, but I knew that they would come back and I wanted to get to the hospital before that happened again. I went straight to the maternity ward. I knew they would know exactly what to do and take care of Ruby. I carried Ruby into the ward. Two nurses came walking past and saw, instantly getting a wheelchair to put her in. They whisked Ruby to a spare room and helped her up onto a bed. I could tell by the pained expression in her face her cramps were coming back again. I took her hand and sat beside the bed. She sueezed it tightly. "Take all the pain out on me gorgeous." I told her. She took m hand in both of hers, sqeezing it really tightly near her stomach.
"It's alright, it will be over soon." I whispered. "Breathe."
Ruby let out a small cry. I leant in and kissed her forehead before brushing the hair that had fallen ino her face, back. Ruby's hand relaxed. "It's over babe." I said rubbing my thumb against her hand. "Try and breathe normally." I told her as a nurse walked into the room.
"Aren't you good!" she smiled at me as she walked over to Ruby. "These are just some strong pain killers love to stop the cramps, they will kick in soon. Once you are feeling better and a bit more relaxed, we will take an ultrasound just to check up on everything." she told her. Ruby nodded and thanked the kind nurse. "Everything will be fine." The nurse assured us as she left the room.
"Hear that? Everything will be fine." I repeated to Ruby. She smiled and breathed out a little.
"I am so sorry Luke, waking you up and you having to drag me here to sit and be tortured."
"Don't be. I am so glad you called. I wouldn't want you home alone in pain, I'm happy you can trust me." I said before giving her a romantic kiss. Ruby went through one more phase of cramps before the pain killers permanently stopped them. The same nurse came in about half an hour later.
"Okay, Ruby we are going to take you in for the ultrasound now. Are you okay to walk?" she asked.
Ruby nodded and slowly got out of bed. I held out my arm for Ruby to clutch onto. We walked a bit slower than usual into the room. I wasn't sure if it was because Ruby physically couldn't or because she was so nervous. I helped Ruby onto the bed and sat on the chair beside her, clasping onto her hand and stroking her hair softly. The nurse let out a small smile, admiring our relationship. She applied the gel to Ruby's stomach, a routine I was getting used to seeing. Slowly but surely, the nurse pressed the x-ray onto Ruby's stomach. We both looked nervously at the screen. The small baby appeared on the screen. I let out a small sigh of relief, something about this re-assured me. I looked at Ruby. She still looked nervous, the baby wasn't moving one bit. The nurse moved the x-ray around, keeping her eyes glues to the screen. "excuse me one moment." she said and walked out of the room. Ruby shot me a worried look and I kissed her cheek trying to make her feel better. Even though I felt sick to my stomach myself, I couldn't even start to imagine how Ruby was feeling. A tall man walked into the room, the previous nurse trailing behind him. "Hi Miss Williams, Mr Brooks. I'm Dr Norman, I am just going to go through with the ultrasound again. Make sure everything is on track." he said.
I watched as he wiped th old gel off and applied a new layer. I pressed my lips against Ruby's hand as I watched the screen in anticipation. The baby appeared on the screen one again, in the same position. He or she hadn't moved in the slightest. The doctor cleared his throat as he cleared the gel off Ruby's stomach. "I um. I'm not sure how I can explain this easily." he almost whispered. Disappointment and a feeling of sickness washed over me. I knew what was wrong. I just needed it to be confirmed. "I cannot find any sign of your baby's heart beat. I'm so sorry." he said.
Ruby's face dropped, it looked as if she had seen a ghost. "What?" she said fretting. "Luke. What?" I felt so hurt seeing her so upset and confused. She wanted to deny the truth but couldn't.
"I, don't. But, what? The baby?!" she tried to string a sentence together. I looked at her as a tear fell from my eyes. I couldn't speak. I just shook my head and kissed her hand.
"I am extremely sorry." said the nurse rushing over and holding Ruby's other hand just before she broke into tears. Ruby rolled onto her side like she had before and started to sob. She looked more pained than when she had cramps. I rested my head on the bed beside he and let my tears fall freely onto the ground. I couldn't remember when I had last cried like this. The nurse and doctor quietly left the room. I tried to collect myself for Ruby's sake. Sitting up, I picked her up from the bed and placed her on my lap, cradling her head in my hand and pressing it against my chest. I kissed the top of her head and rocked her back and forth as she cried. After at least fifeen minutes, Ruby stopped crying and was trying to breathe properly. A different nurse walked in and towards us. She picked Ruby up by the shoulders and wrapped her arm around her waist trying to support her as they walked. "Now sweethart, we are just going to do a quick procedure okay, it won't take long at all and you won't feel any pain, it's just to remove the baby." she explained.
"Please don't leave me Luke." Ruby cried as I walked next to her to the procedure room.
"I'll be right out here." I said kissing her forehead and giving her a quick squeeze before she disappeared into the sterile room. I walked back down the corridor and sat on one of the seats. I buried my head in my hand and had a small cry to myself. It was too much to take in. I really wnted this baby, and so did Ruby. Everything that we had planned and been though over the past few months- gone. My eyes stung as I sat up and tried to collect myself before Ruby came. She needed to know that everything would work out fine. The same nurse from before walked over wih a coffee and handed it to me before putting her arm around my shoulder and giving me a long and helpful talk. Honestly it made me feel so much better. She was so incredibly kind. I drank the coffee and let it drown my emotions. It was an hour before Ruby walked glumly out of the room and towards me. I took off my jacket and walked towards her. I stood in front of her and gave her a quick hug before slipping her weak body into my jacket and taking her hand. As we walked out we thanked the nurses and were told they would be in touch which made me feel more assured. We drove home in absolute silence, Ruby staring out the window blankly. When we got back to Ruby's house, I opened the door, letting her inside. Ruby held her arms around her waist protectively and looked around as though she was taking in new surroundings. It must've been almost 5 in the morning and we were both exhausted. Once I had locked the door, I went towards Ruby and guided her into the lougeroom and sat her on the couch. "One minute okay." I sqeezed her hand and walked into the kitchen. I made us both our special hot chocolate that Ruby and I had invented together. It was completely unhealthy but so good. Carefully, I carried it into the room and placed it on the coffee table. I switched on the TV to create some noise, make it seem less lonely. Ruby was frozen in the same position, still clutching around her stomach. "Are you in pain?" I asked her as I sat beside her, pulling her closer to me so her head was on my chest. I felt her shake her head before she started sobbing again. I held Ruby tighter in my arms and stroked her hair protectively. "Let it all out babe." I told her, and thats exactly whats she did. She sat there hugging each other for what seemed like forever, not caring about the time and ignoring everything else around us. "I wanted that baby so badly Luke." she wailed.
"So did I." I said hushing her. "But everything happens for a reason, it wasnt meant to be this time around." I told her sadly. She sobbed until her cries turned into siffles and slowly faded. Together, we sat silent with only the tv mumbling in the background. "Louis." Ruby whispered.
"What was that?" I said softly, kissing the top of her head.
"His name was Louis." she said louder but still delicately. I nodded as Ruby leant back onto my body and I let a few tears fall before I repeated the my son's name in a whisper.

"Louis."