Chapter 6

Wyena nervously ran her fingers through her newly short hair as she tried to steady her nerves. Her carriage was approaching the entrance to the rider academy and she didn't want her anxiety to cause things to go awry before she'd even started.

It had been far simpler to carry out her plan than she'd originally thought. In the end, only a few bribes and threats had been necessary to ensure silence and duplicity. After that had been taken care of Ceago had boarded a ship in Dulca for parts unknown and Wyena was on her way to Dragon Spire.

Despite being positive that she had covered all possible angles, she was still on edge. The stakes couldn't be higher and despite the bravado she had shown to her cousin she was nowhere near as confident as she'd appeared.

Her unease retreated as she caught sight of the lord's compound. Located to the north, it sat atop a manmade hill that overlooked the city below, the massive towers of the Dragon Spire palace dominated anyone and everyone who happened to live in its shadow.

However, it wasn't the palace that commanded her attention. She did a double take as she spotted the academy. Located next to the palace in the royal compound, it was easily one of the largest buildings she had ever seen. Shaped like a coliseum living quarters and dragon stables enclosed a large arena that was used as a training ground for the riders.

"But it's not the ground that's the best training space" Wyena thought lifting her gaze to the sky. She thought she had prepared herself but she still gasped and stared in awe as she spotted what she was looking for. Dragons, a whole squad of them flew above the arena practicing battlefield maneuvers.

"They look incredible" she whispered to herself watching as the squad formed into a battle line and charged towards their imagined enemy, the cadet's lances were held at the ready and their dragon's maws were bared.

She was so engrossed in the spectacle that she didn't realize the carriage had crossed into the academy's receiving area until it jolted to an abrupt halt. She checked herself one last time to make sure her disguise was perfect. Fortunately, Ceago's clothing had been a good fit and since she had always been athletic she hadn't needed to bind her chest very much.

Tightly clutching her sword, she waited as the driver opened the door and bowed deeply. "We are here my lord" he said politely.

Nodding curtly Wyena stepped out of the carriage. Looking around she spotted about thirty other cadets being herded into the building by a large, gruff looking man in studded leather armor that reminded her of Bartus way too much.

"Get your ass over her now!" the man shouted gesturing for her to get into to line with her fellows. Moving with a speed she hadn't know she possessed Wyena ran over to get into line with the other cadets. As they filed into the building the tall, dark skinned young man ahead of her stiffened slightly. Curiosity peaked she quickly glanced around the room. Under a portrait of the current Dragon Lord Rindar were a series of other portraits next to a plaque that read "Heroes of the Northern War."

Wyena bowed her head in deference to the portraits of the dragon riders who had fallen in the recent war against Hullcross.