Chapter 44

"I just remembered one of the reasons why I always hated the idea of high society parties" Jake grumbled as he tugged at the uncomfortably stiff collar of his formal robes. He snorted as he looked at himself in the polished silver mirror that he'd been lent for the occasion.

They weren't all that different in style from the regular robes that he'd grown used to wearing over the past couple weeks or so, but they were more elaborate. Black and gold designs in the forever uninspired dragon patterns of this world clashed with regular red that was normally part of the archivist's uniform. A long red sash was tied around his waist and a satchel was slung over his shoulder.

Jake wasn't a fashion expert by any means, but even he thought the ensemble looked just a bit gaudy.

He supposed that he shouldn't have been surprised by the lack of diversity among the symbolism. After all the dragon was the symbol that everything revolved around in this world. Prestige, politics, even the local cult religions were centered around the power gained from fighting on dragon back. He might've scoffed at the notion if he wasn't also aware that the cross and crescent had been used in a similar fashion in medieval Europe and the Islamic world respectively.

Still, he could live with all that. What annoyed him was how stiff it was compared to the regular work robes. He wasn't sure why, but it seemed like formal clothing was always designed to make someone look like they always had a huge stick up their ass. And that wasn't just here that was back on Earth to, though admittedly, his experience with formal gatherings in either was severely lacking.

The one thing the long bulky robe did have going for it was that it had made it easy for him to wear more functional clothing underneath, not to mention stash his weapons. He'd been able to conceal his tomahawks, bowie knife, and his thermite packages with no bulges. He'd also hidden a small throwing knife up his sleeve, making him a walking arsenal of concealed weapons.

Sadly, he'd been unable to bring his bow or lance, so he'd lashed them to Ragnarok's back this morning after he'd finished arming the bombs.

As he checked himself in the mirror he heard a brief knock on the door, a moment later Carris' voice called out to him. "Kaladan, are you ready to go? We need to get the item and get over to the palace, the guests will have already begun arriving"

"Coming!" Jake called as he checked himself one last time to make sure there were no signs of weapons under his robes.

Taking a deep breath, he walked over and opened the door. Carris stood there, his expression was cheery, but Jake could detect a wary undercurrent beneath the surface. He was dressed in a similar fashion to Jake, but a large golden medallion draped around his neck signified his position as the head archivist.

Carris looked over Jake once before nodding in approval. "Very good boy, but we'd best be off, it won't do to keep Lord Rindar or the high nobles waiting"

Jake grimaced, falling into step beside Carris as the two of them left the archivists headquarters and made their way towards the long ramp. He felt himself tense as they ascended the hill and headed towards the massive coliseum, his eyes darted around to make sure that Elgenon hadn't spotted him. There was no sign of him however, and as they approached the gates a pair of guards stepped in front of them.

"State your name and business at the academy" the taller of the two men said sounding completely bored.

"Head archivist Carris, I am here on behalf of Lord Rindar, I have important task to see to immediately" Carris said in a voice that was uncharacteristically authoritative.