ventitré | world cup

IT HAD BEEN OVER A WEEK since Paulo and Naomi had returned to Turin

IT HAD BEEN OVER A WEEK since Paulo and Naomi had returned to Turin. Since then, her father had gotten much better and she had also visit her mother and older sister in Milan since their return.

Giovanna was happy to hear that her sister's relationship with Paulo was much better then the last time they had talked about their relationship. Naomi's mother also felt happy that Naomi seemed happier. She could always tell when Naomi wasn't actually happy, and this time everything seemed genuine, but that didn't change the fact that her mother still didn't like Paulo.

Paulo had even come along to Milan with Naomi, just because it had been awhile since he had seen the rest of Naomi's family.

He was very aware that Naomi's mother wasn't too fond of him, but he wanted to at least give a better impression or try to get rid a bit of the negative image she had of him.

Naomi's mother had heard many times from his daughter; that he was a great person. And he seemed sweet and caring towards Naomi, but she felt that something was just off. That she didn't quite believe him, that there was something about Paulo that threw her off and she just couldn't see him the same way as others did.

-

Naomi had awoken early, in hopes of being able to make breakfast for both her and Paulo before she would have to drop him off at the airport- and he would head back to Argentina for a few trainings with the team and then they would be off to Russia, to commence the preparations for the matches.

But she didn't find him, not a trace of Paulo in the apartment, that they both shared.

She didn't really think he would've left without even saying goodbye, plus she had also figured that she would be the one to drop him off since there was no need of anyone else doing so. Naomi didn't know wether he had left without saying anything on purpose or if he just had to leave earlier than she thought, and he just felt bad if he had woken her up early.

But waking up early would've not bothered her, not at all. All she just hoped for was that he would call her later to check up with each other.

Naomi shrugged and decided to make breakfast for herself. She rubbed her tired eyes as she waited for her food to heat up.

"Good morning," he heard someone from behind her, making her jump and drop the cup of orange juice she had been previously drinking.

"Paulo! Why would you do that?" Naomi exclaimed as she bent down to clean up the mess on the floor. "I thought you left without saying goodbye."

Paulo couldn't even answer back because his laughter prevented him from even getting proper words out.

"It wasn't even funny, Paulo," she rolled her eyes. "I seriously hate you for that."

Paulo grinned. "You could never hate me, Naomi. But it was funny, you have to admit it."

"It wasn't," she glared. "I made breakfast, eat before I get angry and eat it all."

Paulo served himself and sat right across from Naomi. Breakfast had been awfully quiet, and even know that they were driving to the airport. Their mornings would usually be filled with laughter and nonsense.

But for some reason, this time it was quiet and it wasn't an awkward silence. It was more like them enjoying one another's presence before he had to leave. Usually they were never apart from one another for longer than a few days, despite their problems, they would always find a way back and they could never really be away from each other.

Naomi would definitely miss him, especially since these past few months would always be spent with him. Especially now that everything seemed perfect, she didn't want him to go because she only thought of the worst. That he would come back, and return to the person who acted cold towards her without a real reason.

She always felt insecure, about herself and their relationship. She always feared the worst, because it was what usually happened. And she just hoped that everything would be the same when he came back, as it is now.

Naomi hoped that a month from now, she would be with Paulo, celebrating their country winning the World Cup as a redemption of what had happened in the last World Cup.

It was only a wish, and she knew that it would be difficult due to the shape the national team was in. But she believed in miracles, and that was what kept her very optimistic even thought most supporters had already given up on their country even before the tournament started.

"What are you thinking of?" Paulo asked softly, as she looked up realizing she had zoned out a bit.

"Just thinking about the World Cup," she mumbled. "I hope that we make it far, despite that the fact that the national team isn't at its best. Maybe now that they have you, you can make a difference and put us on the right track. And who knows? Argentina can surprise the world and win the trophy after all," she answered as their found themselves heading towards the area Paulo would have to check in.

She had left out the fact that she feared he would change, just because she didn't know wether it would change his entire mood and have him leave on a bad note.

He nodded with a smile. Her optimism was always there, and it was one of things he loved about her. That she could believe in something even if other believed against it.

He didn't deserve her, and he knew that. Paulo had told himself that a million times. He had even told her, but she believed in him and she believed that he was the right one for her.

"Hopefully we will. Maybe we can surprise the world, like you said," he smiled. "Winning the trophy maybe isn't something I'm sure of, but what I'm sure of is that I'll give this my best, and it'll all be for you. All the work and time will be worth it when I see you there, supporting me like you always have."

They were now sitting together as they waited for Paulo's flight to be called. He had dressed almost in 'disguise'- so there had been no problem with anyone recognizing him.

"I will always support you, no matter what occurs during the World Cup, and through every decision you'll make," she admitted, as her hand entangled into his.

"I love you," he breathed out and placed a gentle kiss onto her soft, pink lips.

"I love you more, Paulo."

[ not edited ]

i'm so sorry for not updating in like forever. literally my writer's block has been so bad.

[ also, as you can tell the world cup has already ended. but for the sake of the book this will take occur during the world cup ]

but thank you for reading and i love you all.