Denied Attraction Chapter 23

JULIO'S POV

I watched her go, tears in her eyes. I couldn't tell if she worried for Tommy so much or if she was actually even the slightest bit afraid that something might happen to me. The banging increased as cracks began to appear on the door. The noise drew me back from my thoughts of Amelia as I readied myself for an attack.

I knew how the furniture worked and Amelia was pretty smart to push it the way she did. With ease, I managed to pull it back. The door burst open, destroying the lock. A guy with short blonde hair came at me first, raising the gun. It was obvious with the way he held it that he was a professional. I could only guess that this was "the big guy" meaning the boss.

I dodged to the side before the gun was aimed and took hold of his wrist. I ducked under his arm, bringing his whole arm around and twisted the wrist. He let out a small cry as the gun dropped and the other guy that was with him came running for me. He had various cuts and scratches on his face. He was darker than the blonde one but just as stupid. I was a trained fighter.

Pushing Blondie to the side, I blocked a punch from the charging bull and kicked him in the stomach. He took a few steps backwards, clutching his gut before standing and coming at me once again. Blondie tugged at his hand that was still in my tight grip forcing me to get pulled a few steps with him. This gave his accomplice the upper hand as his fist connected with the side of my face. Blood splattered out of my mouth, my gum getting cut by my teeth.

I ducked his next approach and with one quick movement, I pushed Blondie's wrist with great force so that his fingers met the inside of his wrist. The bone cleanly snapped. He let out a scream as I let him drop to the floor. I turned my attention back to the other guy.

He watched his boss in shock before turning to me, anger clear in his dark eyes. I gave him a bloody smirk. He launched at me, bringing his leg up for a powerful front kick. At the right moment, I pushed his foot out of the way and my fist connected with his nose. He stumbled a little and then moved forward punching me in stomach. I bent over, an arm wrapped around my own gut. He swung a fist and that collided with the other side of my face, bringing more blood into my mouth.

With some effort, I stood and as his round-house kick came flying for my side, I raised my knee as a defensive manoeuvre. He cried out in pain as he grabbed for his leg. I took that moment to kick him in the face, sending him flying backwards onto his back. I could tell by the look on his face that he was going to be out of it for a little while.

I then glanced at Blondie who was cradling his wrist against his chest. I strode over to him and with one swift punch, turned his lights out for maybe a few minutes.

I ran out the door and made my way to the stairs. I saw that the banister was practically destroyed and on the floor at the bottom of the stairs, the front door lay all dinted and broken. I jumped over it and ran towards the laundry room. I remembered very well where Tommy liked to hide. When we were younger, Amelia and I spent hours trying to find him. I went over to the vent there and pulled it out.

Tommy sat inside, hugging his tiny legs. He was shaking and crying. I offered him my hand and he took it willingly.

"Come on bud, let's get you out of here," I said, pulling him out gently.

He hugged my leg with great pressure and I couldn't help but feel sorry for what this kid's witnessed. I put an arm around him and after a minute, he finally felt a little more relaxed. I held his hand and led him towards the kitchen.

As we made our way to the hallway, we were blocked. Blondie stood in front, a large black bruise forming at his eye and his wrist hanging loosely from the rest of his arm. The gun was in his other hand as he gave me a twisted and dazed smile. I pushed Tommy behind me, ready to take a bullet for him but then out of nowhere a large clay vase smashed across Blondie's head.

My eyes widened in shock as I took in the person standing there, hands raised to their open mouths as the man fell to the ground, knocked out cold.

AMELIA'S POV

I could not believe that I just hit someone on the head with a huge, heavy and very expensive vase my Mum had bought a few years back on her trip to Italy. I wasn't aware that I was even capable of such strengths but I guess when it came to the two people I care most about, I was invincible and did the most unexpected by even my standards. Julio watched me in shock as Joel fell to the ground. I could only shrug in response to his questioning gaze.

I stepped forward and at that moment, Tommy came running from behind Julio and leapt into my open arms. I hugged him tight and kissed him several times on the top of the head. I was so grateful that my little man was alright. I don't want to put him through something like this again. He pulled slightly away from me.

"I was so scared," he cried out.

I felt tears prickle my eyes as I brought him close once again.

"So was I," I whispered. "So was I."

I looked up to see Julio at the sink, rinsing blood out of his mouth. Bruises were forming on his face. I felt something tighten in my chest at the sight of him beaten up again. I couldn't stand him hurting especially when he took those hits all for me and Tommy.

Police sirens rang from outside and in no time, the house was swarming with officers. They ushered us all outside as they did a sweep of the house to make sure there were no more dangers. The ambulance was also called in as a lot of people were injured and needed some treatment. Most of the injured were Joel's men and a few of them were Julio's friends.

I noticed Carl leaning against a car, talking to another guy who I have never seen before in my life. He resembled Julio slightly so it was possible that they may have actually been related but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Tommy was playing with the sirens in a police car as I sat at the back of an ambulance getting stitches. The cut in my head wasn't serious but they didn't want to take any chances. The good thing about the cut was that it was small and close to my hairline so it wouldn't be that noticeable and no one would be able to stare in curiosity.

A police officer had questioned me along with Julio and his friends about what happened and in no time, Joel along with all the slime bags he brought with him here were arrested and taken to the jail cells.

"How are you feeling?" Julio asked me as he approached the ambulance.

There was nothing they could do for his bruises but put some ice on them to calm the swelling. I wish I could just make them disappear from his gorgeous face. He sat beside me and looked out towards the house.

"I'm a lot better. Those dirt bags have been caught which means they won't be after the money anymore. Tommy and I will be safe," I said smiling.

He nodded.

"Thank you, Julio. For going in there and getting Tommy," I said.

"It's no problem. I care about you both Amelia. I would do anything for you," he replied without hesitation.

I placed my fingers under his chin and turned him to face me. I brought my lips gently to his, kissing him as softly as I could. He responded to the kiss with ease but I knew him well enough to tell that he was controlling himself to keep it soft. I smiled against his lips and pulled away to look into his dark mesmerising eyes.

"You know I'll have to move in with you again? My house needs some repairing and until then, I can't risk Tommy going up those stairs."