Denied Attraction Chapter 6

Julio had left his car in the parking lot and we made our way to his house on foot. He had told me that he'd go back for it once we reached his house. I felt like a horrible person making him walk all the way there and back. I informed him of that but he only brushed it off, just like he did with any of my further attempts at having a conversation.

It took a little while, but we finally arrived at his house. He unlocked the door and turning his back on me, left, going back the way we had come from.

Stepping inside, I noticed Maria wasn't anywhere. She must have still been at work or something. With a sigh, I stepped through the threshold and closed the door softly. I made my way down the hallway, thinking I was alone when movement to my left caught my eye. Santana sat on her bed, her face buried in another book. I smiled inwardly and stopped at her door.

"Hello," I said hesitantly.

She looked up, frightened, before realizing it was only me.

"Hi," she said, a little reluctant.

"What are you reading?" I asked, my attempts at seeming casual flying out the window.

I stepped into her room and realized automatically as to why I hadn't been allowed to sleep here. I had wondered, more to myself, why I was sharing a room with Julio when he had a sister not much younger than I was. I now knew the answer; at least I think I did. Her room was awfully tiny. Her walls were a light purple. Posters covered the wall where the window was, wooden blinds loosely hanging. Next to her wardrobe, which stood across from her bed, was a large bookcase filled with what seemed like an endless number of books.

"It's called Juliet," she replied softly. "It's about a girl who travels to Italy because she receives a letter telling her that she is the descendant of Juliet from Romeo and Juliet. But she realizes that-"

"There was an actual historical story of her past, which was twisted by Shakespeare. And for the curse that was put on her family to be lifted, she must find her Romeo-"

"Who almost everyone believes to be dead, but boy are they wrong. And her twin sister comes to help her figure everything out-"

"And they find out that Romeo was always there under their noses," we finish off together not missing a beat.

A huge grin spreads across my face and I watch as hers mirrors mine without a seconds thought. I felt happy, I guess you could say. Santana finally seemed to relax a little around me. Maybe it was because we found a common interest. I sat on the edge of her bed, crossing my legs as she scoots over for me.

"You know the book?" she asks me curiously.

"I love that book," I laugh and receive another warm smile.

We talked on for what felt like hours but were actually mere minutes. Santana talked on about her favourite books and I listened to her. It felt good to connect with someone after such a long time. I haven't heard from my "friends" since I woke up in the hospital, dazed and hurt. Talking with someone and listening to them made me feel like I belonged again, that I wasn't a broken girl that no one could fix.

"I'm sorry, you know," Santana said softly.

I looked at her, the confusion forming in my eyes. She looked down shyly, a sad smile coming across her face.

"For ignoring you this whole time," she clarifies just as quietly. "It was wrong of me. You've been through so much and I haven't made anything better for you."

I stare at Santana, her dark eyes focused over my shoulder. She was afraid to look into my eyes. I guess it was because she felt uncomfortable talking about the situation. I leaned over and wrapped my arms around her.

"It's okay," I whisper into her ear.

Her arms wrap around me and we stayed like that for a little while until we heard the front door slam shut. We pulled away, stunned from the noise that broke the silence looming over the house.

Footsteps approached and Julio came into view. My heart felt as though it fluttered or something and I grimaced slightly, not understanding the reaction.

"What are you doing in here?" he asks gruffly.

"I was just-"

"I brought your stuff back. I suggest you go sort them out," he cuts in, a little annoyed.

I nod faintly and stand up, following him out of the room. As I turned into the passage, I heard Santana's soft voice float towards me gently.

"He cares about you, more than you know."