Denied Attraction Chapter 7

I stared up at the ceiling. Santana's last words to me floated around in my mind, each word making an even bigger impact than the last. She couldn't mean anything about that. So why was it getting to me so simply. School was in two days and here I was thinking about what that dark eyed girl said to me.

I breathed out a frustrated sigh and turned over in the bed, pulling the blanket to cover my head. I needed sleep. I could feel the bags under my eyes. I desired a peaceful sleep, however that is the most difficult thing for me. Every time I close my eyes, I relive that day. I wake with tears and refuse to sleep after that. Though come night time, the cycle repeats itself.

I sat up, restless and sweaty. Walking over to the door, I tied my hair up in a loose ponytail and picked up my phone. My footsteps were light as I tried to creep from my side of the room to Julio's. I reached my hand out and slowly gripped the door knob, twisting it carefully. I didn't even get a chance to hear the click of the door opening before I felt a warm breath on the back of my neck. Turning around, I found Julio barely a breath away.

"Hey, I hope I didn't wake you up?" I said slowly, more like a question than anything else.

"What are you doing up?" he asked me, stepping away from me.

My hand slipped from the knob and I sucked in some air.

"Umm...I couldn't sleep," I replied looking away from him.

The room was silent for a few minutes and all that was audible to my ears was the beating of my heart. I hoped Julio couldn't hear it. I don't get why he had such a weird affect on my body. I was just itching to get closer to him. But that would be a wrong move.

I could faintly make out the sound of Julio's breathing before he spoke, loud compared to the quietness that had fallen between us.

"I've noticed you haven't been sleeping much. Isn't the bed comfortable for you?" he asked.

He noticed? Julio Sanchez actually noticed something so little? I guess it might be because he practically slept across from me, but surely with the wall in place he wouldn't be able to notice how restless I am.

"No, no. Not at all," I spoke quickly. "The bed's great. It's just I haven't had any peaceful dreams. My head's just all full of nightmares. Every time I close my eyes, everything just begins to replay and I-I don't-" I broke off unable to finish the sentence.

I couldn't believe that I could so easily trust him with these things. I didn't even mean to say half of that stuff. They were just bits and pieces floating around in my head. They were thoughts that are not necessarily meant to be expressed. Though, I still said them to Julio.

Julio took hold of my hand and walked over to his bed, sitting me down. He stood in front of me for what felt like eternity before finally sitting down beside me and resting a hand on my knee.

"When my dad died, you were there for me. We were so young and you still took care of me. You would come over every day just to make sure I was alright. And even if I said I wasn't, you knew I was lying. You held my hand when they buried him. You were my rock when I didn't want to be left alone," He said softly, giving my knee a little squeeze.

That ladies and gentlemen, was a once in a lifetime offer. Seeing Julio talk about deep and meaningful things. It shocked me into silence that he actually still recalled all those memories. That he, even after all this time and separation, was able to prove that he understood how I felt.

A tear escaped my eye and I leaned my head on his shoulder. His body stiffened slightly at the unexpected gesture but I was too tired to over-analyse anymore of his body language and language full stop. Closing my eyes, I breathed out delicately and found my mind begin to wander. Where it went off? I don't know. However, it's safe to say, I wasn't afraid.

~~

I woke up at the sound of a phone ringing. It took a while but my dazed mind realized that it was my mobile. I reached over for it looking at the screen as it read 'private number' and answered it.

"Hello," I said, my throat feeling slightly dry.

"Hey Amelia, were you sleeping?" a voice asked.

My mind raced around, trying to put a name to that voice. I've heard it countless times before but it just wasn't ringing a bell. I recalled on past memories and faces but I kept coming up blank, so I stayed silent.

I heard a laugh on the other end before the person replied, "It's Carter. I'll call you after, when you're more awake."

Without hesitation, I hung up and settled more comfortably into the pillow. My eyes closed and I exhaled a calm breath. I loved the feeling of the warm bed and the way the pillow welcomed my head. I loved the way the blanket felt soft and warm and how a comforting arm was draped around my waist. I smiled to myself, and then reality dawned on me. There was an arm draped around me.

Turning my head slowly, my eyes slightly open, I saw Julio fast asleep beside me. My eyes widened and for a moment I forget how to breathe. His face was calm and almost friendly. His hair was slightly ruffled, in the sexiest way possible. The muscles in his arm were still defined even though they weren't tensed and his tan practically glowed.

Only now did I realize he was shirtless and lying in bed next to me. A blush crept up on my cheeks and a shy smile formed on my lips. I, self consciously, checked for drool just in case I slept with my mouth open. I sent a silent thank you when I found the no drool escaped my lips.

Julio's eyes suddenly opened and I jumped back a bit. Fear washed over me as I watched his calm features turn into a grimace. I felt his arm pull away from me and he moved as far away from me as the bed would let. Hurt. I felt hurt.

"Who called you?" he asked suddenly, his voice husky.

I tried to remember who it was on the other end of the phone and I froze.

"Shit," I mumbled, getting off the bed.

As I walked over to my side of the room, I noticed who called me, while I slept so comfortably with Julio next to me. Dread took over my features. So did embarrassment and shock.

It was my boyfriend.