Denied Attraction Chapter 16

"Julio's been looking for you. He couldn't find you at school and got really worried," Maria told me.

We had left Tommy's room so that he could sleep and decided on some hot chocolate. We weren't far from his room though, just in case he woke from his sleep and panicked. I was also afraid that he might not wake up again, but of course, I didn't share my fears with Maria. The poor woman had enough on her plate.

"I'm sorry, but I forgot about everything when the doctors called me," I replied to her.

Maria was in her work clothes. She worked mostly as a cleaner, but occasionally got called for other jobs by her casual placements. She had small shadows forming under her eyes which suggested that she hasn't been sleeping so well. I watched as she shifted in her chair to look at me better.

"I understand," was all she said.

I smiled and in the distance I heard my name being called out. Tommy had woken up.

~~

I spent the whole weekend at the hospital with Tommy during visiting hours. When it was time to go back to Maria's house, I was always left alone. Maria would be busy cleaning or in bed already. Santana wouldn't even look me in the eyes. She seemed embarrassed about something. I knew it was probably from what I overheard and left her by herself. Julio on the other hand was never home. I needed some answers but I never got the chance to ask.

~~

It was Monday lunchtime. Julio and Santana had driven themselves to school. I was still too scared to get into a car but even if I was ready to step into my worst nightmare, no one offered. Like always, I ended up walking.

I walked into the cafeteria and was approached by Tracey. She was one of my closest friends last year. She had red short hair with hazel eyes. She was slightly shorter than me and had a fragile looking body. I was always scared that when I hugged her, I might accidently break her into a million pieces. She was a tough girl though.

"Amelia, I need to talk to you."

Without bothering to get food, I walked out of the large area with her and into the hallways. It's been a long time since we've spoken so it was slightly awkward for me.

"We've known each other for like forever," she began. I had a bad feeling about what she was going to say next. "Someone had to tell you and I thought it should be me."

I looked at her confused when she didn't go on, stopping in the empty corridor.

"Carter has been spreading rumours about you. He claims that at the party last week, you slept with him," she informed me.

I looked at her, wide eyed and stunned. I didn't know what to say. He went around telling everyone that I had sex with him at the party. I wandered what else he made up. Judging by Tracey's face, there was more to it. He was so going to regret this.

"What else has he been saying?" I finally ask.

She told me the rest of the stories he's been spreading, some of which include me having some infected and disfigured lady parts. I was beyond angry. I could feel my face heat up and smoke was bound to come out of my ears soon enough.

Tracey and I began walking towards the car park in silence. She was very hesitant and treaded softly around me. I on the other hand was ready to kill someone. When we reached the large doors, I pushed them open and stepped out revealing a bright sun.

I spotted my target across the car park and clenching my fists, I made my way towards them.

"Carter! You better have a damn good excuse as to why the hell you've been spreading crap about me!" I yelled as I approached.