Denied Attraction Chapter 3

"How is he?" I asked the doctor as soon as I entered the children's ward.

The doctor sighed and looked down at the charts, examining the new information one of the nurses had just handed over to him.

"I'm sorry, we need to run some more tests before we can be sure about your brother's condition," he replied softly.

I looked through the glass pane into his room. I hate seeing my six year older brother lying still in the bed with tubes and needles stuck into his arms and mouth. I felt so hopeless. He was always so energetic, making me run until it was time for bed or food. A tear spilt from my eye and I entered the room.

I grabbed Tommy's cold fragile hand when I approached the bed and sat beside him. It was even harder seeing him in this horrible state. If he were alive, I would have him in my life and stay strong just for him. If he were dead, at least I could seek closure and peace sooner or later. But having him in the middle, balancing on an unstable fence, in turn made me unstable.

I didn't know whether to cry because I lost him or to stay strong because he might pull through this whole thing. I willed him to open his eyes and give me his lazy smile. I pleaded for him to let out one of his uncontrollable giggles. I prayed for him not to be taken away from me.

I watched him as his chest rose slightly and then fell back down. He had to use an oxygen mask to help him along the way.

I kissed him on the forehead and slowly let go of his hand. "Take care kiddo. I'll come to visit you. I promise," I sobbed softly.

~~

Walking into the empty foyer, I looked around uneasily. My own house seemed so lifeless. The whole area was dim as heavy curtains hung loosely, not letting any form of light seep in. My footsteps echoed as I made my way up the stairs, the second floor seeming even more lifeless than the first.

A glance at the clock in my room told me I had half an hour to get all my things packed.

Grabbing my largest suitcase, I filled it with most of my clothes, not forgetting the essentials. I put a few pairs of shoes in there as well and had to sit on it so that it closed. In a separate bag, I put all my belongings from the bathroom, as well as my jewellery and the few photos I had with my parents and brother.

I walked into Tommy's room and grabbed his favourite teddy bear he'd named Rocky. I placed it in my bag and made my way into my parents' room. I sat on their bed and recalled the countless times I'd sleep here between them when I had a nightmare. Now I had no one to cuddle up to. My heart beat picked up and my chest began to feel heavy.

I sighed and looked over on the vanity in the corner. On it sat my Mum's jewellery box. I opened it carefully and found the necklace my Dad had given her when they first met. On it was inscribed;

"Our love will last an eternity and never will we be torn apart."

Another tear escaped from my eye, just as I thought I had run out of the salty liquid. My Dad had been right. Nothing could pull them apart. Not even death.