Denied Attraction Chapter 22

JULIO'S POV

I heard her phone disconnect as she let out a cry. I was frozen to my spot. They found her. I know they did. She wouldn't avoid me for no reason. That girl was trying to protect me. I shook my head at that thought. She was being stupid. She can't take on all this responsibility by herself.

I knew I had to save her. Immediately, I jumped into action. I grabbed for my car keys and pulled on my runners. I left without saying anything to Ma or Santana. I didn't need them worrying too. I jumped into the car and put it into reverse, leaving tire marks on the pavement. It was a twenty minute drive, but I could make it there in ten.

I took hold of my phone as I raced down the street. I know it was a dangerous move driving at a fast speed and looking at the phone instead of the road. I had to take the risk though, for Amelia. I found the number I was looking for and after two rings they picked up.

"Carl, they found her," I said, panic laced into my voice.

"I'll call the guys," he replied automatically before hanging up.

I focused on the driving and slowed the car down when I came to Amelia's street. It was a miracle that no cops saw me. That would have slowed me down greatly and I didn't need it. God must have been on my side this time.

I stopped the car about five houses down. I didn't want anyone recognizing my ride so I would have to walk the rest of the way. I crept along the path, using all the bushes and fancy trees in the neighbourhood to cover my approach. As I neared, I saw about five men standing around the front of the house and across the street two more sat in the car. I didn't know how many more were at the back or even inside with Amelia and possibly Tommy. But I knew the later would have been hidden if Amelia saw the danger in time.

A hand gripped lightly onto my shoulder and I turned ready to attack whoever it was. I stopped myself in the last second as I recognized Hector and Alex. Behind them Carl was coming with Rafael. Even further behind, I noticed that a few more guys I knew from school were on their way.

One was named John. He was built and towered over most of the guys at our school. He was tan and had wavy black hair that reached his shoulders. His brother Daniel followed. He too was tan and had black hair cut short. He was tall like his brother but not as built. Lastly was someone I never expected to see here. Victor, my cousin. We haven't said a word to each other in over three years so it was quite a shock when this muscular brown haired man arrived.

"Thank you guys for coming," I said.

They all nodded in response and assessed the situation with their own eyes. We began to instantly plan our attack and find a way to get in unnoticed to save Amelia and Tommy.

AMELIA'S POV

I opened one eye and noticed the bang came from outside. I could feel Joel hesitate behind me, and I took that hesitation by quickly standing and swinging my leg at his stomach. My foot connected and he fell backwards slightly. That taekwondo video I watched a few years back really paid off I guess.

The man who was with him jumped for me in attempts to grab hold of me, but I ducked away from his grasp and ran as fast as I could. As I ran I tried to free my hands but the knot he had tied was tough to wriggle a hand out of. I used my tongue to push the cloth out of my mouth, barely spitting it out onto the floor.

I could hear footsteps approaching behind me fast as I ran through the living room. I knew they were catching up and tried the push myself faster. I stepped out into the spacious hallway in attempts to get to the front door but suddenly I felt a strong force push my body into the cool tiles. My hip connected first followed by my head. I heard skin splitting as something heavy lay on top of me.

I was rolled over as the crazy man continued to use his body to prevent me from moving. He raised his hand, making a fist, and wore a sick, twisted smirk on his tanned face. I was about to shut my eyes, bracing myself for an impact when the front door was smashed off its hinges and fell on top of us. The door, however, was enough to push the man off me slightly. I kicked my way out from under both objects and sat up.

I stumbled a few times as I tried to stand and then I saw Joel come around the corner, gun raised. I turned and sprinted up the large staircase, ducking as bullets flew towards me, breaking the banister apart. I managed to get up the stairs and ran towards my parents' bed room. They had a large balcony with a strong tree beside it.

I turned into the room and slammed the door shut, locking it with my hands still tied behind my back. I pushed the dresser in front of the door. I was lucky my Mum had bought such light furniture. It made moving them around a whole lot easier, but the catch to them was that you had to push a certain way otherwise they were immobile.

I put it in a way that no one could move it from the other side of the door unless they used extreme force on it. I backed away, eying the door warily until I turned and slammed into a solid figure. I let out a scream as I jumped back.

"Relax, Amelia. It's me," Julio said, grabbing hold of my waist with both his hands.

I breathed out a sigh of relief, burying my face against his chest. I could feel his fingers at my wrists as his undid the tight knot. As soon as the rough fabric fell loose, I pulled back slightly from Julio in order to massage my wrists from the excruciating pain I felt in them.

Looking at his chest, I noticed blood was stained on it. At first I thought he was hurt but then I felt his fingers lightly touch my forehead. A slight stinging sensation filled my body. I knew then that the sound of skin ripping had been the sound of my skin splitting open. It was my blood on his shirt not his.

"How bad is it?" I asked him quietly.

"It's not so deep. You'll just need some stitching," he replied, cupping my face.

I nodded, the idea of a needle and thread making me feel nauseated. He embraced me again and this time I was able to wrap my own arms around him.

"Amelia, you really scared me. I know you were trying to protect me, it's in your nature to help others. But, Amelia, come on. You and I both know this is one thing you can't deal with alone," he told me, kissing the top of my head.

"I thought I could," I replied, tears finally came. I was so afraid. I couldn't think straight anymore. I had no idea what I was doing. No idea how to stop Joel and his men. I felt useless.

There was a banging at the door as my mind came back from its thoughts and to where I was. I jumped and looked at the door. Joel must have been outside, and judging by the voices, his pal that had tackled me to the ground was there too. I turned to Julio in search of an answer.

"We'll climb the tree," he told me, grabbing for my hand.

At first I followed him, unable to think for myself. Then something hit me. Tommy. I pulled my hand from Julio's grasp.

"Tommy. He's downstairs hiding," I whispered desperately.

Julio stopped and thought for a moment. His eyes seemed distant as he tried to reach a decision. I turned for the door, not wanting to waste any time. He grabbed for my hand and pulled me back.

"Where are you going?"

"To find Tommy!"

"They're at the door, Amelia. How would you get through them?" he asked bewildered.

I hadn't thought about it so I just shrugged.

"Go climb the tree. I'll go get him. Where is he hidden?" he inquired.

"Remember hide and seek?" I asked. He nodded. "Tommy's favourite hiding spot."

With that Julio pushed me to the balcony where I careful swung my leg over the railing and reached for the tree. As I climbed down, I looked up at Julio. I really hope he remembers the hiding spot but most of all, I just want both him and Tommy to come out safe.

"Thank you," I whispered, almost ready to cry again. With that Julio was out of view and I neared the ground below.